Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cracked Arrows Question >

Cracked Arrows Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cracked Arrows Question

Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cracked Arrows Question

Hey guys,

I was shooting at 40 yards this weekend and some of my arrows missed the target. When I found the arrows the nocks were missing and there are tiny little cracks, maybe one or two where the nock is inserted. Can I continue to use these arrows? Do I need to put a peice of tape around the end after I put a new nock in?

The arrows are carbon express 350s.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cracked Arrows Question

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE ARROWS.Any carbon shaft that is split or has cracks in them should be discarded.
If you are talking about putting a new nock into a NEW arrow then no,you wont need tape,they just push in.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 AM

I wouldn't shoot them if I were you, they might blow apart when you release, and that could be a mess.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I would say ur better off just throwing it away and if u need to purchase more arrows then go ahead and do that. If an accident can be prevented then do so. Im sure the hospital bill will cost u more than some new arrows.
Shoot straight and stay safe.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I was checking over my gear the other day and notcied my one nock was messed up. Looked like I almost had a RH but the arrow reflected off. The nock had a hole in the center and a deep gouge in it, down the side and the gouge continued for another 1/8 inch down the shaft.. it was 1/32 deep maybe.. didn't know if I should use it or not.. it's not cracked and it doesn't run all the way through..
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT USE THAT ARROW like everybody else has said... Buy some new ones if you dont have any more
Old 07-25-2005, 09:52 AM

guys dont shoot any damaged arrows or arrows that you think might be damaged!
there was a post on here a while back where someone and listed photos of a carbon arrow that exploded on release. it wasnt pretty that poor guy had strips and strands of carbon fiber and about half the shaft in hand. right where he was holding his bow. defanately a trip to the hospital. it made a really nasty hole and think of all the surgery that it took to get all that carbon out of his hand. if you look at those photos you will not ever shoot another arrow that you think is damaged. just think about telling it to your friends; oh, by the way, i shot my self with my own bow, aint that catchy.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I remember that photo! It was on here a year or so ago and I think of it anytime I have a questionable arrow. If I pull a shaft out that is cracked or split I snap it over my knee then and there as to eliminate any confusion as to shoot it or not. Toss them at once!

SF
Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Polkat

i shot my self with my own bow, aint that catchy.
Is that polkat or fellow polock

Never shoot an arrow that maybe damaged. Take the inserts out and use them for yardage markers. or small tomatoe stakes.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice. I wish arrows were cheaper!

Tom

Quick Reply: Cracked Arrows Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.