Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Fiber Optic Sight Question >

Fiber Optic Sight Question

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fiber Optic Sight Question

Old 03-18-2003, 10:22 AM
MS

Default Fiber Optic Sight Question

I just got the TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot sight system for my Benelli Nova. Its fully adjustable for windage and elevation. After I mount it, I want to make sure its " centered" and " on" before sighting in on a turkey. Though I know the balistics are different on heavy game loads and the 3.5, 1 7/8 oz. Rem. Hevi Shot 6' s I plan on shooting, can I use heavy game loads or other lighter loads to adjust my new TruGlo sights? My shoulder hurts at even the thought of shooting four or five of the cannon shells just to get my sights lined up. What shot size do you recommend and at what distance should I shoot to get the sights adjusted properly so they will work at 40 yards with my turkey loads? Also, any advice or suggestions on placement of the front and rear sights?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fiber Optic Sight Question

I' d highly recommend using some light loads for centering your sights. For both financial and physical reasons, heavy loads aren' t the way to go. You just need to see where your gun is throwing the lead, so any load will work. Once you get your sights pretty well centered, then switch to your hunting loads to zero your sights with the center of the pattern for your load. I' d start at 15 yards with some 2 3/4" #6 loads, then move back 5 yards. Once you get your sights centered at 30yds, you should be ready to switch to hunting loads and start again from 20yds, making minor adjustments. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:45 PM

Sighted a new pair of William' s Fire Sights on my turkey gun the other week. Started at 25 yards with field loads when I got it where I wanted it, then moved up to turkey loads at the same yardage, fine tuned with one shot, then tried the farther distances. Saved me $$$ and pain
Old 03-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put the same sight on my M1 Super 90 Benelli. I started with some light target loads that I made up myself with 71/2 shot at about 10 yards then moved the target to twenty, then forty. Once I was sure I was " on" I pattern some turkey loads at twenty and forty yards for good measure.