Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question For Glass Call users >

Question For Glass Call users

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question For Glass Call users

Old 03-07-2003, 06:35 AM
VP

Default Question For Glass Call users

Just ordered me the American Friction Rock Bottom Glass Call-(1st Glass call I' ve ever owned) Used several different slates before but never had a glass one- In your opinion what kind of striker produces the overall best tone? I' ll be ordering (some) new ones in the next couple of days. I have a couple of carbons, hickory, and one Bocate striker now . Tell me what you think- I know BT will have plenty of advice on this one-hehe
COMEON !
Old 03-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question For Glass Call users

..Myself i would have to say (ROSEWOOD) or (HICKORY)....[8D]..
Old 03-07-2003, 01:00 PM

On glass I like the following the best, Purple Heart, Rosewood, Hickory and the Woods Wise Mystic Stick. I have a new black walnut I just made and am begining to really like it on glass, very raspy.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Purple Heart!! This striker sounds great on glass calls!!
Old 03-07-2003, 03:07 PM

I like the raspiness of a carbon striker, but I also like a oak or hickory on glass.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:30 PM

The striker is THE most important part of a slate/glass call. There is no way to say what wood or composite material will sound best with a given call. I believe if there is an all-around wood for a striker it would be hickory. On my glass call, however, I prefer a carbon stiker that I made specifically for the call.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

so far black walnut gets my vote.....im still in the process of finding great wood though....but black walnut works nicely for me....
Old 03-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Strikers are quite a tool with these friction calls, with the different woods they will create some different sounds. Something to keep in mind is Diffenent made calls(Brands) aswell as the surfaces also sound different with any one striker. A Caller/Hunter will have a sound preference that He/She maybe listening for. I like a Clear Bark with a slight rasp in a striker. Something that will work the surface of a call easy. The way some grains are in some of the woods, can make the striker work alittle diferent on the surface. Here are some of my favorite strikers on a Glass call. From left to right is the Secret Green , Osage Orange , PurpleHeart , Chestnut they all work glass nice with all having a different ring in tone...BT

Old 03-13-2003, 06:57 AM

Mostly my Purple heart with a 3/16 diameter shaft. Remember, shaft diameter makes a difference . I also use a hickory with a +.25 diameter shaft that makes a deeper tone. My carbon striker works well also

Quick Reply: Question For Glass Call users

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.