Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 recurve for small game >

recurve for small game

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

recurve for small game

Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Default recurve for small game

i would like to buy a recurve for small game but i dont want to spend any more than what is absolutely nessary since i have limited funds any ideas???
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM

Default RE: recurve for small game

You can usually pick up a Shakespear or Pearson up on Ebay for 30-60 dollars. Draw weights will vary. You will just have to shop around.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or... you could learn to make selfbows. I've even made a few bows from red oak boards I've gotten at Lowe's and Home Depot. Here are a couple of sites that have very good info.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/stic...g/brdbows.html

http://users.rcn.com/gtsouk/archer.html
Old 01-21-2004, 06:07 PM

Well if you visit 'The Archery company.com' (all one word) they sell a 38lb lovely Samwha woden recurve bow for £65, not sure what it would be in dollors but hell its a seriously nice bit of kit. Got lots of attatchment points for sights, stableizers etc.
I just bought one and recieved it this morning through the post!! been using it and its excellent to shoot and with my Easton arrow it seems to have a fair bit of power behinde it.

Hope thats of some use. Good luck and good Hunting

Tomy D
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Arthur P, thanks for the website links. Building a board bow looks like a great winter project.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:57 AM

I use the same bow I dear hunt with at 58#. I have killed 22 tree rats this year. 6 on Christmas(a good day)
Old 01-26-2004, 03:28 PM

i would try but i deer hunt with a compound and that seems just stupid to try and shoot at running rabbits while haveing to worry about my peep sight being allinged and my bow not being torqued and whatever else
Old 01-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

i deer hunt with a compound
I'm sorry.[:'(] But there IS hope for a cure. [&:]

A compound with all the doohickery is not the best tool for trying to shoot running rabbits, that's for sure. Get yourself an inexpensive recurve and just play with it. Take those shots at running rabbits and stuff. By the time you progress to the point where you start picking off rabbits on a semi-regular basis, deer won't seem that much a challenge any more.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:02 PM

LOL but which one AP ive heard of people building one i think i would get alot of satisfaction out of that but i would also like to just buy one in case my building skills arent what i thought they were but it does look like a alot of fun and i have shot a buddies recurve a couple of times im just 15 so their is definatly time to convert me but i would like to get my feet wet
Old 01-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

At this point, don't worry much about which one. ANY recurve will do to get you started. Start hitting the flea markets and pawn shops. Watch Ebay and the classifieds at www.women-outdoors.com Keep an eye open for something in the 40-45 pound range at a price you wouldn't mind paying. Good bows that are very common - and less expensive than most - are Pearson Colt, most anything by Shakespeare and Bear Grizzly.

You should be able to pick up any of those for less than $100. Often MUCH less, especially if they've got holes drilled in them for mounting sights and such. Even bows with filled holes are not worth what an undrilled bow is worth. Just as shootable, but not collectable. My pick of the litter would be the Grizzly.

Put the word out among your friends that you're looking for a recurve. You never know. Somebody's dad might have a recurve hiding in a closet that has been gathering dust for 30 years.

And there's always the option of making your own stick. I didn't get my first 'store bought' bow until I was about your age. Before that, I hunted small game and varmints with many bows I made myself. I'm not talking the green stick and kite string kind. My bows were a bit more advanced than that. I was taught bowmaking by my grandfather who, in turn, had learned from an Apache. (Imagine that... a Cherokee making Apache bows. LOL )

It's just within the past 5-6 years that I've gotten reinterested in making my own selfbows again. It IS satisfying, like you say. It also keeps the memory of my grampa alive. On the financial end of things... Selfbows are FREE!