Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

small game???

Old 09-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default small game???

is hunting a tree rat so difficult tath we have to have 28 posts about it? whats your opinion?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 AM

Default iowabuckslyer

It really depends on how long you' ve been hunting. For the newbies that haven' t hunted a lot they' re going to ask a lot of questions. To me hunting tree rats is a relaxing way to escape a lot of my problems. But then again I' m 52yrs. old, and have been hunting squirrels since I was 10. I love going out into the woods picking a spot and sitting there. 9 out of 10 times I' ll limit out the first couple of hours I' m in the woods.

Coyote Caller
Old 09-23-2003, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: small game???

tree rats are great fun to hunt......theres all kinds of things to ask about hunting them if you dont know....and if you do maybe youll talk teqniques....weapons....calls....favorite ways to cook em ect ect....they might only be tree rats but theres alot to talk about......
Old 09-23-2003, 03:06 PM

I think so many people like hunting bushytails because that' s how they got started. I like hunting with a .22 because it' s more difficult than with a shotgun and it lets you hone your skills for deer season as well. And last but not least...it' s incredibly fun!!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:15 AM

Talking about hunting anything is a lot more worthwhile than many subjects...
Old 09-26-2003, 07:52 PM

-----
On 9/22/2003 at 10:36:47 PM iowabuckslayer wrote: " is hunting a tree rat so difficult tath we have to have 28 posts about it? whats your opinion?"
-----
I am grateful to have this and other internet-based sources of small game hunting info. I have always lived in a big city area and none of my friends or nearby relatives hunt.
I' ve had a very good hunter safety course (mandatory here in NJ) but that' s all it was: about safety.
Squirrel season starts here in about 8 hours and I' ll be out there...only my second season as a hunter although I' m age 49.
I did manage to find a few hunters at the workplace but they were all strictly deer hunters...mostly bow.
So...it' s only been about 11 months since the first time I ever tried to turn a living creature into food! That' s just how it is for some of us living in the NYC area.
Eventually, I' ll graduate to deer and maybe beyond. But I won' t forget those tasty tree rats or how and where I got the info on how to get started. The more meaningful posts on this subject the better!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Iowabuckslayer, I agree with what IamBob said, not eveyrone was taught about hunting growing up, and for those of us grown men just starting out, squirrel is a really good starting point and teaching tool. This is my first season and I' m teaching myself. I can' t start out being an ArkansasBuckSlayer like you, I don' t have the skills (yet).