Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Match the woods

Old 02-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Match the woods

I have semi-decided that if I ever get some money scrounged together I am gonna get a O.L. Adcock longbow (1 or 2 piece, but not 3). I figure I can use the time that I am poor to pick out the woods. Tough though. Some of the woods that are availible that strike my fancy are Zebra, Tulip, Bocote, curly maply, Bolivian rosewood, cocobolo, ebony, and juniper. I like some of the other ones too, but they don't jump out at grab me. Given these woods, what would you pick as the limbs and riser of a longbow, or make some suggestions if one wood not listed would look good with one that is listed. I am thinking the limbs are going to be a veneer over Tonkin Cane. There are so many woods that look great, it is hard to decide.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Match the woods

Tox,

Right now, my favorites are Cocobolo, Bocote and Macassar Ebony. Just recently began looking at Macassar Ebony and (to me) it's stunning. It will usually cost you extra as its board price is twice the price of cocobolo.
I plan to order another Sley with a Macassar Ebony riser with Bamboo limbs.

Sag.

Edited by - Sagittarius on 02/09/2002 23:17:06