Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Awesome evening in the woods, sparring match >

Awesome evening in the woods, sparring match

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Awesome evening in the woods, sparring match

Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Awesome evening in the woods, sparring match

I went to a new spot yesterday that I found late last year while scouting. I found a fallen tree that worked excellent for a natural ground blind, but there didn't appear to be as much deer sign this year. I figured I may as well try it though. About a 1/2 hr before sunset, I noticed a buck walking towards me. It turned out to be a basket rack 4x4(probably a 1 1/2 yr old deer). He wasn't quite what I was after so I knew I'd let him go. He fed within 10 yds of me for about 15 minutes, then came in a fawn followed by a doe. I wanted to fill my doe tag but didn't dare move with the buck standing so close. The doe left and right away in came another deer, a spike. He came to within 10 yds also. Both bucks fed for a bit then started a little sparring match...less than 10 yds from me! It's a good thing I had a facemask on because I was grinning from ear to ear watching this. After 4 rounds of sparring and rubbing trees and brush, they both felt safe enough to head out into the field. By this time it was 15 minutes after sunset. I've never stood so still for so long in my life.

Those 2 bucks were less than 10 yds from me for over 30 minutes and never knew I was there! What a rush seeing that, especially being at eye level with them. It's things like that that only bowhunters get to experience.

Sorry for the long post but it was an experience I had to share.

BTW, I was wearing Mossy Oak New Break-Up camo
Old 10-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Awesome evening in the woods, sparring match

That is awesome. To have them that close while on the ground too. You are so right about only bow hunters getting to experience such an event. I am surprised that you were not wearing ASAT. I thought that was the only camo that would work at that close range. Just kidding all you asat guys. Don't bite my head off now.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Thats wicked awesome man! And you were on the ground too. You must have had good cover up on. Great story.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The closest I ever got to a buck on the ground was about 8 feet. It was in the parking lot of a place I used to work at. I got off work about 10pm. I walked out to the lot and saw a deer down in the trees beside some cars. With the wind blowing hard from the buck to me I started sneaking down behind the cars. I got to the last one and when the buck lowered his head I stood up beside the last car between us. I stood perfectly still against the car. The buck was so close I could hear him chewing the acorns he was eating. He was a nice 2.5 year old 8 point.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

That is awesome. To have them that close while on the ground too. You are so right about only bow hunters getting to experience such an event. I am surprised that you were not wearing ASAT. I thought that was the only camo that would work at that close range. Just kidding all you asat guys. Don't bite my head off now.
Had he been wearing ASAT, he probably could have walked out there and field dressed one of them on the hoof before either knew what was happening. It's OK, we ASAT wearers know that those of you without are more than a little jealous
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 PM

that was an awsome time you had it sounds like i also hunt from the ground a great way to hunt lol.what is asat?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:41 PM

I love to read things like this post. There is nothing better than having a close encounter with deer.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had he been wearing ASAT, he probably could have walked out there and field dressed one of them on the hoof before either knew what was happening.
JMAO. That is too funny. I may own a set by next fall. I just plain spent too much this year.