Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 How does one use a bow stringer? >

How does one use a bow stringer?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How does one use a bow stringer?

Old 01-18-2004, 04:35 PM

Default How does one use a bow stringer?

Hay there sorry, I know this is meant to be very simple. but im new to this and as im from the UK Archery isnt as big over here so its hard to get the info i need.
Im wanting to travel to Bow hunt in a number of years as its illegal in the UK, so have bought a 40lb recurve bow to learn on. However I hear that to fit the Bow string you need to use a bow stringer. I have one but am not sure how to use it? Any help please......

Thank you for any help

Tomy D
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 AM

Default RE: How does one use a bow stringer?

easier done then explained but here goes..... put the top string loop over the top limb and push it down the limb a small ways. Then put the bottom string loop on the lower tip just like it will be when strung.( half way done ) If your stringer has a cup on each end simply place the cups on the limb tips and with one foot stand in the middle of the stringer and lift up on the bow. This will flex your limbs and all you need to do then is push your top string up and into the grooves. If your stringer only has one cup and a rubber block on the other end ( the kind I prefer ) you put the cup on the lower limb and place the loop with the rubber block over the top limb and put the flat side of the rubber block on the top limb just behind the string loop and again step down on stringer while pulling up on bow then slide the top loop into place. Well thats my .02 and I am not good at explaining things so I am sure it is clear as mud now lol
Old 01-19-2004, 07:38 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Troy, except it might be easier to use both feet, shoulder width apart. The reason I haven't posted is I wasn't sure how to put it into words myself--it's almost like trying to explain how to tie shoes[X(]. It might seem difficult at first, but will get much easier with practice. It would be a good idea to have a second person handy until you get the hang of it in case you get in a bind. Be sure the string is completely in the loop and straight before you release the tension.

Chad
Old 01-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Tomy,

Here is a link with an illustration that shows you how.
http://www.kidbow.com/how_to_use_a_bow_stringer.pdf
Unlike the illustration, however, I would place both feet an equal distance on each end of the bow's riser, before pulling up on the riser to bend the limbs for stringing, while bending the knees for greater leverage and to prevent straining your back.
"Shoulder width", like Chad (LBR) suggested, is about right.
Especially, with bows above a 50lb draw weight.
Lighter draw weight bows like 30 to 40 lbs can safely be strung stepping on the stringer cord with only one foot.
Be careful while sliding your bowstring loop onto the top limb tip notch.
You can twist a limb if you're not careful by letting the bowstring slide around the limb.
Definitely get a Selway stringer if you don't own one already.
Safest and easiest stringer to use by far.
Only one I will ever own!
Hope this helps.

Sag.