Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Stringer or no Stringer? >

Stringer or no Stringer?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Stringer or no Stringer?

Old 04-01-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Stringer or no Stringer?

My friend just purchase a longbow and the bowshop told him he does not need a stringer to string it. They showed him how to string it by placing the limb tip on his boot and pushing the other away from him while pulling the handle toward him. It seems to work fine but is this safe practice. I was told to only string my recurve using a stringer! Maybe longbows are different and the limbs dont twist? Also watched Byron Furguson string a bow without a stringer this way. What ary your opinions here?
Old 04-01-2003, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Stringer or no Stringer?

I always use a stringer. Don' t want to take a chance and ruin my beloved longbows Doesn' t take any longer and a stringer is easy to carry. I usually leave my bow strung unless I know I' m not going to shot for a couple of weeks. I ask my bowyer and he said I can leave it strung for as long as I want!
Old 04-01-2003, 02:18 PM

i to always use a stringer. trust me the are alot easier, i use to put one limb between my legs and pull the top limb down with my arm and string the bow with my free hand and let me tell you this is not fun! [X(] my point use a stringer
Old 04-01-2003, 02:22 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I am guilty of stringing my longbows using the step-through method, but a stringer is the safest way for you and your bow. I would not reccomend the push-pull method (what you described) to anyone. Just picture what could happen if your hand slips. A recurve can take out an eye, a longbow would at best leave a good bump on the noggin. Recurves are prone to limb twist if you don' t use a stringer as well.

Chad
Old 04-01-2003, 02:29 PM

LBR I' m guilty of using the push/pull method on longbows. I do it on my longbow and selfbows but I use a stringer for my recurves. It' s just a bad habit I guess.

Coop
Old 04-01-2003, 05:35 PM

One advantage of Longbows over recurves is that you can use the push-pull method to string them. No risk of limb twist that way either. But never use the step thru method on either type of bow or you' ll risk limb twist big time.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the push-pull method occassionally on my longbows and selfbows but ALWAYS use a stringer on the curves.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 AM

I have to have a stringer to comfortably unstring a longbow or recurve either one, so if I have to carry one to unstring, I may as well use it to string. That' s my broken logic anyway.

Darrel
Old 04-02-2003, 12:08 PM

I always use one. Yesterday I wanted to string one of the old Bear bows I bought last weekend but didn' t have a recurve stinrg, so I didn' t

I will this evening though
Old 04-03-2003, 12:20 AM

Stringer. Stringer. Stringer,

and stringer.

PS- Stringer.

Quick Reply: Stringer or no Stringer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.