Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

osage orange?

Old 02-07-2002, 03:15 PM

Default osage orange?

ive heard osage orange trees were good for making bows and thers a big one where i live only one i know of do i have to cut the whole tree down to get staves? or can i just cut off a big limb and how big aorund would it have to be? i wanna try my hand at makin a bow
Old 02-07-2002, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: osage orange?

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have read, you do NOT want a limb. You want the main trunk of the tree and preferrably a rather straight section at least 6 feet long with no branches coming off in the section of the tree. I believe the tree needs to be around 8" or larger in diameter. Maybe some of the bow builders can add more light to your question.

Bill
Old 02-07-2002, 07:26 PM

Osage is good, some say the best. But not all osage trees are suitable for bows due to twist or other factors.

For your first bow(s) may I suggest that you purchase suitable staves from a reputable vendor rather than cut down a tree that may not work well. Once experience is gained the tree will still be waiting.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Go with Grey's advise. Besides all that, once the tree IS down and a stave roughed out, then you've got to let the wood cure for a spell. Get something you can get your hands on now to cure the bug.

Romans 8:28
Old 02-08-2002, 08:06 AM

Osage is a very good wood from what Ive been told by the guy who is teaching us how to build selfbows..but since there is no good wood here in utah he's been teaching us by using Red oak boards, and I can say it has been fun watching a board get turned into selfbow, and dang they can shoot preety dang good!

Dianna
Old 02-08-2002, 02:06 PM

anybody know where i can purchase staves online? or where can i get em at? and would you reccomnd a easier type of wood for beginners?
Old 02-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.bowjackson.com and check-out the various suppliers. Alternative Bow Woods is one off the top of my head. But there are others. Others that have made bows can give you a better recommendation of woods that are easy to work with for your first bow. I have read that ash or hickory are easy to work with, but I don't know from personal experience.

Good luck!

Bill
Old 02-08-2002, 04:41 PM

If the tree has large enough branches then take a branch. You would want something at least 3 to 4 inches in diameter and relatively free of any knots for a distance of at least 5 feet, 6 feet even better. A branch will have what is called reaction wood and it has been said that reaction wood can have greater compressive strenght.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:15 PM

Try these sources for Osage:

www.bowstaves.com
www.osageorange.com

Jack