Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Osage Build

Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 PM
bigcountry

Default Osage Build

Well, finally started making shavings. Holy cow, 34hours of labor. From Thurs to Sunday at 3:30PM. I hurt in places I didn't know I could hurt.

Turned out to be 56lbs at 29" 67" End to End. Still not finished. Need to sand and make pretty, but its shooting and fast.

Here is the near the start. Circled is the growth ring I am after. She's huge.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:00 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Osage Build

Here's me rasping handle

Old 05-18-2008, 04:01 PM
bigcountry

Here is the bow right before floor tiller. Very late at night.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

And finally at 2" short of full draw. Still taking her easy. Scared to death it was going to blow up into 20 pieces.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC,
Looks good. Can you post a few more pic's of your "workbench," I'm interesting in starting to make a few "Self-bows" myself. I have an elm and hickory log in my barn ready to be worked.

How long did you have to let that osage stave need to drydry??? I have access to a LOAD of osage and was thinking about harvesting a tree and cutting some staves to try. How long do they need to dry for??

Thanks for any info!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

BC,
Looks good. Can you post a few more pic's of your "workbench," I'm interesting in starting to make a few "Self-bows" myself. I have an elm and hickory log in my barn ready to be worked.

How long did you have to let that osage stave need to drydry??? I have access to a LOAD of osage and was thinking about harvesting a tree and cutting some staves to try. How long do they need to dry for??

Thanks for any info!!!
I bought this stave off of Bill Kaczor. He let em dry for over 1 year. Its really where you live from what I read.

Here's the picture of the bow vise/horse. This is the guys who guided me on this.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM
bigcountry

Ok, I shot about 30 shots tonight full 29" draw. I have developed about 1" of string follow. I heard thats normal. For anyone that knows, when should it settle in?

Old 05-19-2008, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

And finally at 2" short of full draw. Still taking her easy. Scared to death it was going to blow up into 20 pieces.

Tiller looks pretty good on that osage--nice job!Post pic's when you get it all finished
Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 AM
bigcountry

Thanks Jim, and it was great to finally meet you. She has a little propeller twist. But we made it so one limb is slightly twisted one way and the other the opposite so it looks like an "S" from a front profile.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent. Looks awasome. Welcome to the world of bow making. If the Good Lord had ever needed something to teach patience, making bows would be it. The bow looks great.

Quick Reply: Osage Build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.