Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

bear cheyenne bows

Old 08-26-2003, 09:34 PM

Default bear cheyenne bows

I am new to tradtional archery, I just bought a cheyenne and I am waiting for
delivery. my question is that enought bow are the custom bows really better , faster ,more accurrate ,hit harder or are just better looking
Old 08-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bear cheyenne bows

I don' t know what you mean by ' enough' bow. If it' s legal on draw weight and you can shoot it good enough to hit what you' re aiming at, it' s enough bow.

As for custom vs mass produced bows, there are some benefits. First, the mass produced bows are pretty much designed for Joe Average. Someone shooting between 27-29" of draw length with an average sized hand. For Mr Average, mass produced bows are just fine and perform just as well as most custom bows.

On the other hand, for someone like me that draws 32-33" , most all mass produced bows stack up horribly at my draw. I have had 45 pound bows that drew 60 pounds at my draw length, but still shot little faster than the same bow would at 28" of draw. I pretty much have to go custom and get a bow with limbs specifically tillered to perform best at my draw length. And the same applies to guys with shorter than average draws.

Even for Mr Average, custom bows have some good things going. Some bowyers have limb designs that are better than mass produced and give better performance. They can shape the grip to better suit your hand. Then you get into the pretty woods that you can order in your bow vs whatever the big manufacturers decide you' re going to get. Frankly, even though some custom bows are very expensive, quite a few custom or semi-custom bows are very competitive in price with some of the big manufacturers.

Are those benefits something you need enough to spend the money on? That' s your decision. But we all have to start somewhere and you' ve got a starting point now. After you learn what you like and dislike about your new Cheyenne, then you' ll have a good idea of what to look for in your next bow. And there' s always a ' next bow.'

Good luck and welcome to traditional!

Old 08-27-2003, 12:20 PM

While I agree mostly with what Arthur says, especially as it applies to the longer armed among us, I' m reluctant to endorse tackle over skill in any situation. Not that Arthur necessarily said that but the implication is sort of hard to avoid.

Human beings are remarkably adaptable creatures. Bows are not. I suspect most problems archers encounter aren' t tackle related but skill related. Consequently, getting a " next bow" or any bow won' t necessarily solve anything, but the notion does keep bowyers in business.

Far too many archers assume skill can be somehow purchased in the form of customized whatever in tackle. Some are so confirmed in this notion they end up with more bows than they can keep track of. That in itself ought to suggest something. If it worked, why do they need to repeat the experiment so frequently?

Therefore, it might be easier in the long run, not to mention easier on the poke, to simply get to know yourself with one bow. Then when you finally decide the bow' s getting a little worn, go get another one if you like, applying whatever lessons you' ve managed to acquire in your own experience, in the tackle selection, with perhaps a good deal of skepticism when presented with claims about design. They might be true but who would know?

On the otherhand, if you' re a collector or just interested on how different bows perform, and you' ve got the wherewithal, there' s nothing wrong with experimenting as long as you give each one the attention it deserves and don' t uncritically accept or spread the promotional hype that goes with many products nowadays.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, I didn' t mean it that way at all. Say you start out with a one piece recurve. Then you decide you ' need' a takedown recurve. Then you decide you ' need' a longbow, then a takedown longbow. A lighter draw weight recurve for target shooting. A heavier one for a moose trip. Then you simply MUST have one that' s got osage limbs and clear glass.... Before you know it, you' re making your own bows in the backyard.

That' s how you wind up with a house full of bows with the ol' lady griping at you about it.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:08 PM

I thought it might have been something like that, Arthur. I just didn' t want anybody to get the wrong idea. Thanks for the clarification.