Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

bow twist

Old 06-18-2003, 01:44 PM

Default bow twist

I have a brushmaster recurve and the top limb twist when I pull back. I have not shot it for many years.[:@] What can be done to correct this problem ?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bow twist

If it twists so much it tries to shed the string, it' s probably a wallhanger. If it just twists a little, then you could heat the limb and twist it the opposite direction it wants to go until the limb cools. I' ve corrected a lot of twisted limbs that way.

I' ve come to like heating limbs under hot tap water in the bathtub, but you can do it with a heatgun or over a hotplate too. Heat guns and hotplates especially if the finish doesn' t seal the wood well, but if the finish is in good shape, the bathtub treatment is best, in my opinion. Just be darn sure you don' t get the limb too hot to handle comfortably or it will delaminate.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:54 AM

I did this ....

Run a bath of hot water. With the bow strung, I put a large C Clap snuggly on the upper part of the limb about 6-8" from the tip. I emersed the bow in the bath for about 5 minutes I think. I then torqued the bow using the C clamp as a grip in the opposite direction of the twist until the limb " looked" straight. Take the clamp off and leave it to cool still strung for a day or so. Do it again if the twist remains. I have done this once and it worked great on a twisted limb that would track 1" off the string groove when drawn.

Its not worth much with a twist, you really haven' t got much to lose by trying it.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Root Brush-Master? A durable little bow.

Run your kitchen faucet hot. Just below scalding hot. Twist the limb in the opposite direction, well past center, and hold it there for 60 seconds. After a minute, have someone slowly decrease the water temp. Once it' s running cold, hold it for another 60 seconds.

Dry off, string, check alignment, and readjust as needed.