Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow twist ?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Bow twist ?

So , I noticed somthing the other day . It is real easy to twist my bow while it is at full draw . What I mean is - no matter what angle my wrist(bow hand)is at ,, I can still see the sights . This causes misses to the left and right . I know that this is coming from bad form , but how do I get rid of it ? Is there some sort of alignment device I can put on my sight ? I noticed that I don't do this with my older BEAR bow . I think this is because the let off is almost non-existant . That forces the bow into one spot in my hand . Thanks for any advice .
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow twist ?

Do you have a bubble level on your sight? if not get one...visualize your arm and hand as a post holding yout bow in position, it should not move much, rotate, flex, whatever. If you are twisting your bow at the shot it probably means some target panic. Some bow designs also are made to help this by distributing as much mass as far from the handle as possible (toward the limbs) this resists a slight impulse to rotate, but you still need good form.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is actually one of the disadvantages of bows with high letoff. There is so little tension on the string at full draw that any hand torque can be magnified. That's why your older Bear shoots beter for you---more holding weight. And it's one reason you will find a lot of the better shooters (especially target) shooting 65% letoff instead of 80%.

Can't say for sure how your form is, but one of the best ways to minimize this torque is to not grip the bow at all. Just let it sit on the meaty part of the thumb pad with a totally relaxed hand---not open hand---just totally relaxed with the hand turned out at about 45 degrees or so. When you release the bow your concentratiion should be on aiming and following through with the shot, letting the bow go through it's natural movement.

I suggest that if you belong to an archery club then you contact one of the better target archers to help with this and any other form flaws.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah get a sight with a level that should take care of it
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the input . It's not so much of a canting problem . That would be a quick fix with a level . BGfisher - I was thinking about joining a league . I'm smart enough to know when to ask for help , but stubborn enough to wait to the last minute .I think talking one on one with other archers would be good . My problem is just what you were describing -The angle of my wrist from my arm isn't always the same . I never would have known I do this , if I hadn't put a laser (excellent training aids) on my bow . Happy hunting .
Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 PM

That's called "torquing" the bow. Which is a big nono. The first thing you need to do is adjust your grip (or how you grip the bow).

The grip should rest in the "webbing" of your hand between your thumb and forefinger. Your hand should remain open with your fingers either open or very lightly touching the front of the riser.

Check out this link for more info:
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...grip/index.htm