Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New/Used Trad Bow

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Default New/Used Trad Bow

Hello Trad guys,
I have never had a recurve but have had an itch here lately. One of my buddies today told me he was helping an guy clean out an old storage shed this past weekend and picked up 3 older bear recurves. He says they are in good shape and he will let me have one so I am going to go and look at them tonight. Is there anything I need to look for as far as problems and damadge. I know to check the limbs for cracks and twists but that would be about as far as my trad gear experience goes. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Oh yea and I am left eye dominant but shoot compound right handed. (dont plan on changing). If the bows are left handed, could I shoot them left handed w/out messing up my compound r/h shooting. It might be a dumb question but I am pretty ignorant.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: New/Used Trad Bow

If possible try to shoot what eye you are dominant, but I admit, after a chainsaw incident, I am left eye dom and shoot right. It causes me issues. Especially if gap shooting. But instintive, it does not.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a lot of cross dominant shooters. Besides the things menioned, be careful of the string. And if it needs replacement, I'd highly suggest using a dacron.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys, I have another question. I know how to find out a string lenght for a compound but how do you know how long a string needs to be for a recurve???? Will it be on the bow maybe??
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I would suggest doing is stringing it up but hot shooting it. Measure the brace and and twist or untwist the stringto bring it in around 7 1/2-3/4 inches. Unstring the bow, place one loop on a nail and pull it tight, take a measurement from inside loop to inside loop and let thestring maker knowyour string length twisted.

I had problems in the past just letting the string maker know the length of the recuve.

Oh and get Chad (LBR) to make your strings.