Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Could someone do a bow build-along? >

Could someone do a bow build-along?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Could someone do a bow build-along?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Could someone do a bow build-along?

I was following the Red oak board bow thread for a while and I got to thinking, why don't one of you guys who build bows do a build-along? I've been planning on doing one with a laminate longbow I've got material for, but I still have to finish a router table cabinet, then my wife's desk, and then some Euro-plaques I started, just to get to my bench. I'm sure it would cause alot of interest.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Could someone do a bow build-along?

Yeah some one apart from me do a build a long

Steve I will be starting the pass around bow tomorrow with a build a long as I go

The glass and Boo are already ordered and should be here at the end of next week.

But I will still have plenty to do on the bow untill they get here.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck. I should have taken some pics. Ive got a bamboo, ipe R-D bow going right now, as well as a Ipe, white oak R-D, rattle snake backed, long bow as well. If I had thought about it Id taken some pics of what I was doing. Since they are both pretty much tillered to 55 lbs at 20", it would be useless to do anything now. Just got a little ways to go on the tillering.

I might keep this in mind. Im going to make me an Osage, bamboo trilam once im done with these two bows. Then will be time to do some self bows and a few glass lam bow. When I get into the glass lam kick, I do selfbows at the same time. Kind of kills the time between baking the riser and limbs on the glass bows.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: bowman15

I was following the Red oak board bow thread for a while and I got to thinking, why don't one of you guys who build bows do a build-along? I've been planning on doing one with a laminate longbow I've got material for, but I still have to finish a router table cabinet, then my wife's desk, and then some Euro-plaques I started, just to get to my bench. I'm sure it would cause alot of interest.
[/blockquote]
Sounds like you had my Christmas. I spent a week in the shop. Had to make a desk, shelfs, custom kitchen organizer, and a bizzilion cabinets. Im just now getting back to making some bows.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 AM
bigcountry

I will try to document my next one. Right now, I am in the middle of mourning my yew bow. And have tried to move past the grief by piking a osage I have and will be sinewing. But I also have another osage in the works, and got one more ring to chase. So far, I have removed 10rings to get to one I want. Thats right 10 freakin rings.

Maybe I can start one with that. But I won't get to much until I get done with the first osage.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

I did a build along once.. kinda....it turned into a overview really as I realized when I was doing it that what I do would take a bunch of explaining and lead to numerous questions that would probably fill a book, see I build one of a kind kustoms ,no two bows are the same, and I don't mean they look different, they are different, limb pad angles, limb thickness, riser lengths, deflex or reflex...none of that stuff is the same, even on theidentical length and weight bows... I have no limb formulas, only a ballpark based on my experience, and I can't teach experience,I could show you what I do ,but that would get a lot of fellas in over their head real quick, and that wouldn't help either of us, and the materials I use cost $300-$400 per bow, so a screw up would be a very expensive lesson for sure, and believe me when I say, these bows are very difficult to make. definitely a 10 on the 1-10 scale....Steve