Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR Build

Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR Build

Howdy guy's ,Me again.Question for the AR guy's and the Smith/builders in general.If your were going to "Build" your own AR what brand of parts would you start with?Lower,uppers,internals, trigger groups,bolt and carrier,etc.Thinking about building one and want the best functioning most accurate equipment available.will not be a 16 incher but rather a 20or 24 (I believe most of the varminter types are 24) I really don't know what length yet.Also don't know yet if I will make it a dedicated varmint type or a badass battle rifle type. This I can decide while doing the build.Kinda think I will try for the best of both worlds........LOL I know I will have to give and take to get this.What do you guy's think...............Thanks ,Alton
Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: AR Build

barrel is priority one
most companies make descent barrels for what folks want and will use them for
i went wil E.R. Shaw
now bull barrels don't whip as much and are a little more consistant when repeated fire ... but they are really heavy and at 24" it will feel like your lugging a small child around through the woods
i would go with a 20 and then get the barrel fluted ...saves on weight and gets rid of heat quicker
also i would go with stainless steel, easier to cut and tend to be a little more accurate some say
what Ridge Runner said about the twist is right on
i have a 1X9 twist and had a 1X8 twist and the later would do less then 1/2 MOA easy all day long
now you have to find out what ammo she will like
mine loved black hills blue box in 77gr
75's, 78's 73 grs were ok but not even close to the 77 gr match
good luck and happy building
couple places you can go for parts are rock river, model 1 sales, del-ton and bushy
go to ar15.com to get LOADS of info
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ridge & Foot,Was just wondering about particular brand uppers and lowers mostly.Kinda want to put together the highest quality I can .Something in line with Baer or wilson or the like.Might have a couple of uppers.One with the old A1 stuff like my old battle rifles with the triangle hand guards,and maybe another one with flat top for longer range use.Still in the planning stages.Sometimes I can get pretty anal about stuff I want!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with the barrel choices: WOA, Pac-Nor, and for a bit more Krieger.

You can build your own upper assembly fairly easily, you'll need an upper receiver wrench and a barrel nut wrech though (about $75 worth of tools). Only 'disadvantage' if you call it that, is that you won't be able to pin your FSB to your barrel, but it sounds like you are interested in building a preceision rifle where pinning is a no-no anyhow.

For good info on building for precision, check out the book "The Competitive AR-15" by Glen Zediker.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I went with a CMMG lower, RRA lower parts, and a Bushmaster Varminter upper and it shoots better then most people can, so I don't know why I'd spend more then $2000 for a Les Baer....
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

i have to agree with jeepkid
it is your money and if spending more for expensivename brands will make you feelall nice and fuzzy insidethen do it
but you can get a great shooter for half the price really
there are a ton of great quality AR builders now adays
they only problem is now adays you may have to wait awhile for some parts
once your done with her post some pics of your baby

Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

I built my own using all Colt parts. My cousin built one and used what ever he could find quick and ended up with a rifle that had 5 different companies names on it when he was done and it did not shoot for ****. I would stick with one brand if i were you just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I built my own using all Colt parts. My cousin built one and used what ever he could find quick and ended up with a rifle that had 5 different companies names on it when he was done and it did not shoot for ****. I would stick with one brand if i were you just to be on the safe side.
Then he probably screwed up the build or used the wrong parts for the particular style (ex. carbine, rifle). Most of the parts (even Colt) are made by a small handful of companies and are all interchangeable, but rifle and carbine parts aren't necessirly compatible.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

DPMS all the way