Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 2 blade or three blade broadheads >

2 blade or three blade broadheads

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

2 blade or three blade broadheads

Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 blade or three blade broadheads

im up in the air about which broad heads i should use out of my recurve. i have both 125 montecs and 125 simmons landsharks shooting nicley. as a compound guy from the age of 4 ive always shot fixed three blade but ide like to try two blade. i have always heard horror stories about 2 bladed BH's not leaving a good blood trail. ive only ever shot turkeys w/ them and had drop dead results. but thats a lot dif then a deer. whats you guys' take?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default RE: 2 blade or three blade broadheads

my experience ? I've killed two deer with my recurve, both with Thunderhead broadheads 3 blade. I got almost passthrough and complete passthrough.

that said I believe 100% in Ashby's studies, and in 2009 I'd lke to be shooting a single bevel 2 blade, or a double bevel 2 blade with bleeders

it all depends on sharpness - if I can get a head Thunderhead sharp, thats the one I'm wanting
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on your poundage mostly I'd say. If your shooting on the low side I'd definitely stick with 2 blade heads. If your pulling back some decent weight a 3 blade head will do you just fine. I've been using 3 blade snuffers for 14 years and I've never had an issue with bad penetration. Either head (2 or 3 blade) will get the job done as long as your set up permits It.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

It really all depends on your bow and what you're planning to hunt. If you have a 45# recurve and are going after moose (assuming that weight is legal in ME), I wouldn't useMontecs. If you're using that 45# recurve for whitetails, I'd probably reconsider.

I've killed a fair amount of animals with stickbows and 2-blade heads:an elk, a moose, a 200# boar hog,well over a dozen whitetails and a pile of small game. I've hadsparce bloodtrails maybe once or twice (which I've also had with 3- and 4-blade heads), but for the most part bloodtrails aren't remotely a problem.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 AM
Banned

JRWdo you shoot bleeder blades? In your opinion do bleeder blades make a hugh difference or no ? Schultzysame question to you ... I've never shot 2 blades with bleeders ... just curious
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's really going to be a personal choice for you. Poor blood trails were mentioned with two bladed heads and I'm sure thereare supportedopinions on both sides of the fence. Personally, with a two bladed double bevel head, I have not been real satisfied with blood trails. Some have been good, but the majority have not. Again personally, penetration (more specific pass throughs) have been issues with multi bladed heads. Again, some have been, but a majority have not.

My personal choice of heads are single bevel Grizzlies. They have worked well for me in the past in both of my scenerios.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I have found that two blades penetrate better than three blades. Dont get me wrong, ive killed my share of animals with three blades and trad gear. Nothing wrong with them at all, I just found two blades penetrate a bit better.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy same question to you ... I've never shot 2 blades with bleeders ... just curious
They have to help, It's more cutting. When I shot bear razors I always used the bleeders, same with the Titans also. Is there a huge difference, probably not but I guess that also depends on how big the bleeders are.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Shot placement has a lot to do with it--I shot a whitetail last year with a 3-blade. Complete pass-through, deer went maybe 65 yds, but the blood trail was very sparce. The reason was because I shot high and it bled on the inside.

I use both two and three blade heads--just depends on what mood I'm in and which ones I have sharp. They have both worked well for me, when I do my part.

Chad