Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3-blade vs. 4-blade broadheads >

3-blade vs. 4-blade broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3-blade vs. 4-blade broadheads

Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default 3-blade vs. 4-blade broadheads

After readingall the endorsements for Slick Trick broadheads, I think I will give them a try next year. I've always used a 3-blade fixed broadhead and have always aligned the blades directly in line with the fletching. With a 4-blade broadhead like the Slick Tricks, is it necessary to have a consistent alignment with the fletching or do you just screw them on a go?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Default RE: 3-blade vs. 4-blade broadheads

Even with a 3-blade broadhead the blades do not need to be aligned with thie fletching to fly accurately.

Just screw them in, make sure they don't wobble, and go.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

I definitely take the wobble out if there is any. I was told by a tremendous bowhunter about 15 years ago to line up the blades with the fletching and have been doing ever since...maybe unnecessarily.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

They don't need to be in line with the fletch, but I do believe in making them all the same. I line them up so that when I lay an arrow on a flat surface like a table, the 2 hen feathers touch and so do 2 of the blades.
Not that they spend much time laying around, but I wanted them all the same, and that was the best reason I could find to choose one orientation over others.

I'm shooting aluminums, so after I get the BH tightened, I just warm up the hot melt for the insert again and rotate the head with a BH wrench until they are lined up. When making up carbons whose inserts are glued in, I'm told that there are washers you can put behind the BH to change the alignment.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Doubled 150, I have also been taught to lign up the blades with the fletching, but I really dont think its a problem now. As long as you spin test them and they are flying true you should be alright. I am also thinking about using slick tricks next season, so i am glad you asked this question.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do prefer 4 blade heads(Slick Tricks) andused to try to get the blades to make a "+" when the arrow was nocked, just because that is how I did it with my Larger profiled Phantoms.

BUT the ST head has taught me that IT prefers to make an "X" when the arrow is nocked instead of a "+".

I know it might sound crazy, but the majority of my Point Of Aim arrrows at 30 yards this preseason were wearing heads that made an X when nocked.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Doubled 150

I definitely take the wobble out if there is any. I was told by a tremendous bowhunter about 15 years ago to line up the blades with the fletching and have been doing ever since...maybe unnecessarily.
I always line up the fletching with the blades. Superstition or not, I think that they fly more consistantly.

Any pics of the slick tricks?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot them this year, but didn't line up the fletching to the head...pretty tough with 4 blades and 3 vanes. I think I am going to 4-fletch a couple though and see if there is any noticable difference in flight.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:43 AM

I alwas line mine up
thats just how i was thought
3 blades
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I always line up the fletching with the blades. Superstition or not, I think that they fly more consistantly.

Any pics of the slick tricks?
Here you go.