Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Good nocking point knot >

Good nocking point knot

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Good nocking point knot

Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Good nocking point knot

Heck, I must be old school, ive always use brass nocks. I tie on string nots when im shooting a bow in, but that is just to break in the bow. Once I get the bow broke in and the nocking point set, I use a brass one.

What advantages do you all get by not using a brass nock? I might have to start pulling off my brass nocks.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a brass nock on a new string to set it.Once the proper nock is set,I'll tie one on.Brass nocks really tear up my tabs,if you're not careful crimping it on ot taking it off,you can damage the string(or at least the serving.Another advantage is I have many spools of fast flite and serving so I'll never have to buy brass nocks
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Heck, I must be old school, ive always use brass nocks. I tie on string nots when im shooting a bow in, but that is just to break in the bow. Once I get the bow broke in and the nocking point set, I use a brass one.

What advantages do you all get by not using a brass nock? I might have to start pulling off my brass nocks.
Well, not much, but I like to tie above and below arrow, and since I shoot 3 under, it seems to tear my damascus gloves after about 600 shots or more. And mostly about 3fps.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

When I tie on a nock-set, I use super glue to secure it--so far, never had a problems with it.

I usually use brass nock-sets though--don't get any wear-and-tear on a glove or tab. I think the "secret" here is using a good set of nocking pliers, and using them properly. I use the "Tru-Fire Pro" pliers, and when I crimp on a nock I crimp once,move the pliers 90 degrees or so and crimp again to assure I get it nice and round. These pliers also have a nock remover so you can take it off and not do any damage at all to the serving.

The brand nocks you use can also make a difference. I use Saunders--no problems with these.

For the record, I used Damascus gloves for years (one of the thinnest you can get), ABS Super gloves, and a Cavalier tab. My wife and son use calf-hair tabs.

I don't have any problems with tied-on nocks-sets, I just won't usually take the tiem to tie one on. Quicker and easier to just crimp brass and go.

Chad
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM
bigcountry

Chad, I never had issues when I shot split finger. Your not putting a ton of pressure on the brass nocks when you shoot split. But 3under, I seem to put alot of pressure under the arrow. Maybe not at the start of the draw, but definatley when at full draw. I also was using larger brass nocks and may have contributed to it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Hadn't thought of that one BC. I never have shot 3-under, at least not more than a few shots--that could be theproblem.

Chad