Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

nocking point

Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default nocking point

hey guys, I have a hoyt 50# recurve and just got a new serving put on and I don't think the nock is in the right place. where should I set the nock for shooting a tab?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: nocking point

I'm new to this also, but what I have heard a good starting point is 1/2" above your rest. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 PM
bigcountry

Anywhere from 0" to 0.7" over center. Do you have a bow square? Just bare shaft tune it, or have someone watch your arrows to see.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

well I bare shaft tuned these new shafts and they were great. shot right where I aimed at 10 yards and no kick left right up or down, then I got the bright idea to replace the serving b/c it was worn from last year. bad idea, should have done that first. by the way the arrows I found to fly great are full length 3555 gold tips, a 100 grain brass insert, 100 grain head, and 5 inch feathers. the shafts by themselves flew like darts. now if I can get this nocking point down.

are most of you using a nock or string nock? if you use the string what and where do I get it from?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM
bigcountry

I use some fine serving. I used to use brass nocks.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard if you shoot 3 fingers underneath you should use a string nock and not a brass nock. Once again, I maybe wrong!!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brass nocks will mess up a glove pretty good. I prefer tie ons below and above. Most of my bows are about 3/8-1/2" above 90 degrees.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each bow/shooter is different. All the answers so far are completely true. But your results my vary. My nocking point has to be 3/4" above square for my arrows tofly straight. Tie a couple of wraps of dental floss around your string. Start within the parameters given. Shoot an arrow, slide the string up or down until your arrowsfly straight.Record that spot on your bow square. Set your nocking points accordingly.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the response. what kinda string do you tie your nock in with.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use about 2 feet or more of sewing thread(thin/fine)....just start by tying an overhand not and start wraping the thread around the string...after about 15 times around i measure again with a bow squareto make sure its in the correct spot(continue wraping back and forth over itself to make it about the size of asmall brass nock....

i wax the bowstring heavy in the spot before i start and wax over thenock real good half way throu and when im done...it wont move...and if you feel like moving it after you shoot a bit you can peel the end up and unwrap move and rewrap.....ive never felt comfortable using just a little single strand of thread(and slidingit up and down)to test my nock point, because i feel like its inconsistent and ill never find the right spot....

ive always used this method and it doesnt move on me...all i have to do is keep wax on it....or if u want dab avery small amout of cement on it.

Quick Reply: nocking point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.