Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks >

The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks

Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks

All I can say is "you should have been there!".......man, what a shoot! This is one that, if you ever go once, you will be back!

This year wasa little different for me--the first time EVER I didn't spend even one dollar on a novelty shoot--I was too busy! I went up early and built a selfbow (had a lot of adult supervision--this was my first). I shot in the "Iron Man" (longbow, selfbow, and recurve), plus the "Selfbow Challenge" (compete with the bow you made that weekend). Only 40 targets each round, but the terrain (hills, rocks, hills, hills, hills, rocks, hills) made it one heck ofa challenge--especially for a fat guy with a bad hoof.

Went in thinking I had a decent shot in longbow, selfbow, and the Iron Man. I came in second in longbow and selfbow last year (didn't shoot recurve last year), plus there's not normally that awful many folks willing to put themselves through trying to shoot that course three times in one weekend. Figured I didn't have a chance in the Selfbow Challenge, because I never made a bow (figured it would blow up on the third shot, if it lasted that long), but I wanted to give it a try just the same.

Well, I've been struggling at tournaments this year--not sure what the problem is. I want to blame it on switching to a tab this spring, but I really don't think that is it. Anyhow, whatever I've been doing wrong really bit me in the butt the first three rounds--shot like I'd never picked up a bow. My best round was with my recurve, that I almost never shoot except for bowfishing--and it wasn't impressive at all.....

Every joint in my body was sore from just walking the course, my fingers were about raw from shooting, I was worn out fromonly sleeping a few hours a night (too much going on to waste time sleeping), I seldom even sat down from the time I got up until I went to bed......but I could enter one more time--what the heck? It wasn't like I could do any worse........

Long story a little shorter, I won the selfbow challenge with a 206--way better than any round I shot with my other bows. (scoring was "5" for a kill, "1" for a body hit, plus a few bonus shots that really helped my score). A "perfect" round, without bonuses, was a 200--but if you hit all 5 bonuses (nothing but a kill counted--no body shots) you could get a 295. I think the highest score on the course was in the 240's, maybe 250's. I hit 4 of the 5 bonuses--that's all that saved me. At four stations, you had the option of shooting the regular shot for regular points, or the bonus target--but not both. To win at this one, you have to hit some bonus targets.

I got a beautiful cedar plaque shaped like the state of TN with a self nocked arrow and flint point hafted to it, plus a full set (minus issue #2--hasn't been available for a couple of years) of Primitive Archer Magazine. Whoo-hoo!!!!!

The best prize is my new bow. She's 69" nock to nock, made from pignut hickory with buffalo horn tip overlays. Money can't buy a bow like this--even though I haven't had time to get all the finish coats on it, or even a wrap on the handle, she's a beauty--and I made it! Shoots almost as fast as any bow I own, hand shock is very low, and it will kill anything I care to shoot at. I forget what the final draw weight was--around 60#--I'll weigh it again soon and find out for sure. I wasn't really concerned about that--when the tiller was right, I didn't care if it was 45# or 85#.

I also picked up an ASAT leafy suit from a dealer who was set up there, and one of Rod Jenkins new "Safari Tough" quivers--can't wait to try those out!

I've said it before and I'll say it again--it doesn't get any better than the TN Classic at Twin Oaks. Make plans to be there next year--you won't regret it.

Chad
Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Tennessee Classic at Twin Oaks

Sounds like you had a great time! Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 AM
bigcountry

Hey, I build my hickory bow in two weeks. What was the design layout of the selfbow? I was thinking I want to do a pyamid shaped limb 2" wide right after teh handle and tapering to 3/4" or 5/16. Somewhere between 50# and 60#. I have a choice of picking a osage stave, but more I think about it, hickory might work better.

You ought to post some picts of the selfbow sometime. Sounds like a good time. You ought to come up to the Balt. Trad sometime.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry I didnt go now. I chose to go to the Lofton shoot in MS because it was closer. The course was set up pretty good but I was disappointed that there were no vendors there selling any archery supplies or bows. Matter of fact there was only one vendor there and they were selling trinkets and such. No novelty shoots either. Next year I will be definatly be at Twin Oaks.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I should have said a perfect round with all the bonuses would be a 275, not 295 (I counted those as both 5 and 21, when it would be either/or).

The Lofton would have been a lot closer for me too, and it used to be one of my favorite tournaments. I really hate it went the way it did, but I'm glad we have the TN Classic to make up for it.

Got another great shoot here in MS on the 17th and 18th at Enid Lake, the Jerry Pierce Memorial shoot, then the first weekend of June there's the Howard Hill at Tannehill State Park in McCalla, AL. I don't have any clubs close by, but some really good big shoots are within reasonable driving distance.

Chad
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sorry BC--I missed your post last time.

It's basically a pyramid flatbow. Some deflex was added to the limbs via forms, clamps, and a heat gun but I lost most of it after I started shooting it. Wish I'd had time to put it back in the form and try to get some of that back....maybe next year.

I couldn't say which wood I prefer--I know hickory is generally easier to work with, but my osage selfbow is a great shooter also.

The big advantage of building a bow at the TN Classic is you have access to all the tools and instruction that anyone would ever need, and they have experience with all sorts of bow designs and woods. I hope to get back up there for a weekend when there's no shoot going on and work on another bow or two.

Wish I could come up to the Baltimore shoot, but I'll never make it that far North this year.....we hope to do the ATAR, and the way gas is going we'll have tomortgage the house to get there and back!

Chad
Old 05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

We loved it:-)