Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Draw Weight Phenomenom >

Draw Weight Phenomenom

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Draw Weight Phenomenom

Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw Weight Phenomenom

ORIGINAL: LBR

Mybet is a bow designed around a specifc core/material will work better than just adding that particular material to a given design.
I like that statement,that sounds like it would be right to me!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LBR

It is a weird thing. The DFC has a part to play, for sure......but even bows that show a gain of 2-3 lbs per inch on a scale can feel different. One thing I've noticed--every bow I've ever drawn that had carbon in the limbs felt heavier, or at least stiffer, to me. Some had it in the core, some on the outside to replace the glass, one I drew was a whole lot worse than any other, another I drew it wasn't very noticeable........but that's been my perception with every one of them. Dad-gumed if I know what does it.

Chad
I remembered you saying this the other day after picking up my Adcock ACS. I had not shot it in probably over a year or so. When drawing it back, I was thinking "man this feels stiff".
So I guess I have to agree with you there Chad.

So the question then becomes do you get a bow that costs hundreds extra to get a little more performance with the stiffer drawing carbon and a lighter draw weight, or you get a bow with a few extra pounds that feels about the same drawing weight as the carbon bow that gets the same performance.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

So the question then becomes do you get a bow that costs hundreds extra to get a little more performance with the stiffer drawing carbon and a lighter draw weight, or you get a bow with a few extra pounds that feels about the same drawing weight as the carbon bow that gets the same performance.
BINGO! One reason some bowyers (like Chek-Mate) don't offer carbon, even as an option. What's the point in a bow that shoots like a bow that's a few lbs. heavier, but draws like a bow that's a few lbs heavier? It's better because it costs a few hundred (or more) bucks extra?

I've asked that question a few times on different sites, but get referred to as pretty much everything but smart and honest when I did--so I just gave up on it.

I know the scales won't lie, but niether do my shoulders.I can't say why one feels stiffer than the other, but I know some do.

Chad
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the research I have done.

There is no real added performance bennefit from adding carbon to the limbs maybe 2 or 3fps.

But like Chad said the draw back is a stiffer drawing bow.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've asked that question a few times on different sites, but get referred to as pretty much everything but smart and honest when I did--so I just gave up on it.
I don't know if I would have noticed until I stopped shooting it for while. But there is most definetely a different stiffer feeling to the bow. Don't give up, it just takes a while to get through sometimes.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Seems I can't say "thank you" without getting in trouble. Got a warning just today on a different site for saying this:

"Learning to shoot is a never-ending process. Heck, there's folks that have written books who's knowledge is severly lacking in some areas."

Oh well......I hope if I were to ever play favorites like that, someone kicks me squarely in the........rear.[:@]

Chad

Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Spike

I believe what you may be talking about is preload, and is a function in all bow designs,those thathave more tend to be faster,and seem to pull harder...those with less seem to be slower, and pull easier.......even though each are the same poundage at the same final draw length.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

I believe what you may be talking about is preload, and is a function in all bow designs,those thathave more tend to be faster,and seem to pull harder...those with less seem to be slower, and pull easier.......even though each are the same poundage at the same final draw length.
Very well could be. That was kind of what I was leaning towards when mentioning the draw force curve. Scales are very unbiased.

What would be very interesting to do would be to have two bows with the exact same draw force curve. One of the bows with carbon on the back and belly and one all wood limbs and compare.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Preload does change how they feel, but I've drawn bows with no carbon that had a lot of preload and with carbon that didn't have as much preload. Don't know how to explain it, just every bow I've draw with carbon in the limbs felt heavier than it was marked--one felt a LOT heavier than marked.

Chad