Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Too much draw weight? >

Too much draw weight?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much draw weight?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Too much draw weight?

Hey i have my bow at 82 lbs right now, is this too much? I'm a big strong guy and have no problem pulling it (even a few hours of straight shooting while practicing) but some of my buddies give me a bad time and tell me something will go wrong pulling that much weight. do you think 82 lbs. is too much?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Too much draw weight?

Agree with Droptine...If I could pull 82 with consistency, I'd do it. Your friends must have a case of jealousy.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Can you draw it back the same in cold weather 0- -20 ?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

I'm thinking no!!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can answer that question.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot...Crank it on up to 95...Why stop at 82???

Seriously, if you are happy, forget what everyone else thinks...What is that saying, "Don't worry about what your buddies think, cause they don't think much anyway..."

Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Well if i can bench 405 lbs. I'm sure i could do it.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigdawgwill44

Well if i can bench 405 lbs. I'm sure i could do it.
You can bench 500lbs and not pull a 50lb compound back!! Benching, lifting weights, etc, your using different muscles then when pulling a bow back. Back in high school I lifted weights and was pretty good. I weighed 160lbs and was benching 300lbs. Buddies of mine were putting up 350lbs and were much bigger then I and they couldn't pull my 55lb compound back. I was shooting bows since I was 3 years old. These guys were not.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM

How much you can bench has nothing to do with whether you can draw a bow back on a cold day after sitting in your stand for hours.

Is it too much? I have no idea being that I have never seen you draw it, but if your hunting deer I know its way more than you need. Almost every person I have seen that says they can draw 70 lbs or more comfortably has been wrong when you see them shoot. Can they draw it? Sure, but can they draw it properly without messing up their form? Usually not, nor can they do it repeatedly without effecting their shooting.

You should be able to pick your bow up, point it at a target and draw it back smoothly while aiming at the target.Then let it down smoothly and being able to do it several times wouldn't hurt. If you can't do this you are most likely drawing too much weight. If you have to point the bow at the ground or at the sky or prepare yourself to draw the bow before you draw it you are probably drawing too much weight. Archery should be smooth and relaxed, you shouldn't have to struggle and strain yourself before you even get the shot off.

Paul

Quick Reply: Too much draw weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.