Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve kits

Old 01-21-2003, 05:48 PM

Default Recurve kits

I am planning to build a recurve about 65-66" I had origanaly planned on making a 60" but after posting a topic on the tech forum asking if 60" was enough for a person who is 6'3" and reading What Aurther P. had to say I decided to make one longer but there is a problem the only kit I could find was a 60" (I could find longer one's but they were take downs)from Bingham Projects. So I was wondering if any one would know were to get a good kit that would fit me I am looking for about a 55# draw. The reason I am making one is that it would be fun and I can't afford a $300 recurve.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Default RE: Recurve kits

I can't really help on a longer kit, but I will say you won't be saving much money making your own if you only want to make one or two. By the time you make the form, decide if you want to use air or what and buy those necessary parts, epoxy, materials etc. you will be close to that $300 mark. Plus there are some tools you will need, so if you don't have them you will have to ad that cost in as well. But you if you plan to make several bows it might be worth it. I make my own bows, not to save money, but because I enjoy making my own equipment. It's a lot of work, but it is fun. But I wouldn't do it just because you think you're going to save money. Plus there's a chance you could mess the first bow up, then you would definitely be over your $300 mark. Also, I found longbows easier to make than recurves when I was just starting out. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the materials for the bow itself will run you a good hundred dollars, then you have to figure in the cost of the forms, tooling and your time. Unless you already have a bandsaw, belt sander and spindle sander, and a hot box, with a healthy supply of lumber laying around, you'd spend a solid $500-600 just getting ready to make a bow.

I definitely agree that it's a lot of fun making your own bow. There's also something special about shooting that first arrow out of a bow you made for yourself. I wish everyone could have an opportunity to make their own bow, at least once.

Keep an eye on the classifieds for something that appeals to you. You might also consider the Martin X200 as a new bow. It's a dandy starter bow, just the length you're looking for and is priced right. Priced even better if you can find a used one.

But don't take my word as gospel about the 60" bow. It's very possible that a 60 incher would work just fine for you, but you need to find one and shoot it some to find out for sure. There are very few 'rules' about archery that apply across the board. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all of your help I took a look at that martin and it is very tempting I think I will head on over to cabelas and have them measure my draw length but I still am not sure wether I will build one or buy one. I do have most of the tools I think I might need like a disk and belt sander a bandsaw misc. files. and about the bow form and heat box. My parents own a lumber yard and I could probably find what I need there. I am fairly confident in by crafting skills. but then I might just buy that martin. I geuss I'll have to do some thinking thanks again for your help