Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Do it yourself kits >

Do it yourself kits

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Do it yourself kits

Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Do it yourself kits

I saw these on cabelas and thought about trying it out but i wasnt sure how it would look and if it was hard, anyone out there with experience your tips would be apreciated.

BB90
Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do it yourself kits

I was wondering the exact same thing bigbuck, i'd love to try one of those kits. I dont know which would be better to start with a squirrel or deer cause i've heard that squirrels are a real pain in the ass.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 AM

Yes they are, That is the 1st thing I did in taxidermy class. It is so small that all your mistakes are magnified. I am working on a skunk and fox now. So far they seem easier. www.McKinsie.com also have the kits.
Good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Hey Deer4ager, Now you know that squirell wasnt all that bad! I bet if you would have ordered the right size form it would have been a walk in the park....LOL! But then again I could have used that form for my groundhog,lol! I just got a coyote for a pedistal mount today. The girl has another one. If you are interested let me know and I can email you the detaiils.
Later,
Teddy
Old 02-26-2005, 08:24 AM

I took a mail order course back in the late 60's and the first thing they had me do was small birds. My first mount was a little blackbird. Had to make the body out of tow wrapped with string. I just kept telling myself.."if other people can do this so can I" and that 's what kept me going. The blackbird looked good to. Northwestern School of Taxidermy was the name of the place. Cost $13.00 for the course. They would send little paperback booklets on small birds, big birds, small animals, deer heads..etc.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 PM

my first mount was from the same kind,do it yourself,a squirrel,turned out ok,the second one a fox squirrel,turned out great,the kits are about the same as the taxidermy uses,i'm ready to try a deer mount, order you a taxidermy mount book,it'll have alot of information, good luck