Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

flintlock kits

Old 12-22-2006, 09:32 PM

Default flintlock kits

I just bought my son a new tradition deer hunter flint lock tonight for christmas.180$ at Dunhams. I don't muzzle load hunt but might get into it. He has shot one a few times and wanted one.This was the cheapest I could find as for a starter. Do they make starter kits for flint locks? Everything from powder measure to ball starters in one kit and where can one find these if the local gun shop don't carry them and if they make them at all. I seen inline kits but no flint lock kits.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: flintlock kits

I really have never saw a starter kit for a flintlock. All you would need to purchase is a 3gr pan charger flask,wooden ball starter, clear see through powder measure, some patches, bore butter, roundball, a few extra flints (Thomas Fuller Black English 5/8-3/4 should do.. I like the 3/4), then at the hardware store get a small hair paint brush (that will clean out the pan better then any of them they want to see you), aome isopropyl alcohol, car windshield washer fluid, and you can make your own knapping tools.

In an old plastic ketchup bottle, can clean them out and make a powder horn. Just be sure all the moisture is out of the bottle before you fill it. Since he is using a flinter only Black Powder will do of course. Get the 3f grade as that can be used as the main charge and as the pan prime. In another bottle mix the alchohol and car windshield washer fluid as a cleaner. And he should be shooting in no time.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is one. It comes with all of this stuff. At the bottom you select the caliber you need it for. What caliber did you get him?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Sharpshooter.. a link might help. Or am I missing something?

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp

in the search box type "flintlock starter kit."

they also sell some nice range rods called super rods...
Old 12-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

At that same site you could purchase.. http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/catalog_index.asp

powder can spout - $3.10 allows you to use the goex can as a powder horn
pan charger - $10.95
ball starter- $ 6.50
jaw leather- $1.50
powder measure- $3.10

total investment is $25.15 plus shipping where the kit is got some other things, but will run you over $40.00
Old 12-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.possibleshop.com/starterkit2.htmSorry I posted an invisibly link. J/K