HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Recurve kits
Thread: Recurve kits
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recurve kits

Yep, the materials for the bow itself will run you a good hundred dollars, then you have to figure in the cost of the forms, tooling and your time. Unless you already have a bandsaw, belt sander and spindle sander, and a hot box, with a healthy supply of lumber laying around, you'd spend a solid $500-600 just getting ready to make a bow.

I definitely agree that it's a lot of fun making your own bow. There's also something special about shooting that first arrow out of a bow you made for yourself. I wish everyone could have an opportunity to make their own bow, at least once.

Keep an eye on the classifieds for something that appeals to you. You might also consider the Martin X200 as a new bow. It's a dandy starter bow, just the length you're looking for and is priced right. Priced even better if you can find a used one.

But don't take my word as gospel about the 60" bow. It's very possible that a 60 incher would work just fine for you, but you need to find one and shoot it some to find out for sure. There are very few 'rules' about archery that apply across the board. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa.