Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Time to start shopping? I need help! >

Time to start shopping? I need help!

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Time to start shopping? I need help!

Old 12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Time to start shopping? I need help!

OK guys, I've been shooting a compound for 3 years and want to start shooting traditional. I just got a $300 Christmas bonus I was not expecting so it is time.I don't even know what I don't know. I think I should start with a recurve. New or used? My compound is a 65# 29" bow. I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs. What should I be looking for? I will be using this bow for hunting deer and hogs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time to start shopping? I need help!

I would recommend starting with a recurve. I think new might be better, unless you have patience.It'll be difficult to find a used bow exactly the way you want it. I wouldn't recommend going over 60#. When it gets cold, and your muscles are stiff, it's a challenge to hold. 60# will drive an arrow through anything you'll hunt. I'd recommend a 62" bow. I suspect your 29" draw length is with a release. Your finger draw length will be the same length or a little longer.A longer bow shouldn't stack past 29 or 30".
Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Time for conflicting posts already. As you can see we all agree on everything here on the trad forum.[8D][8D][8D]

Honestly, I'd drop 20 pounds off your draw weight from the compound. I'd suggest 40-45#'s pull at your draw. It's important not to "fight" with your bow especially when you are first starting out.This poundage will be fine for deer. You will loose draw length when going to traditional usually around 1-2" (99% o the time). I'd figure on the standard 28" draw length.

Recurves, longbow, and selfbows are USUALLY shot differently. However, you can get recurve type grips on longbows and vice verse. A recurve is usually gripped more like a compound. However, it is really a personal preference on what you like.

For $300 you can get a custom bow made for yourself (Chek-Mate) which usually takes month's or Chad may have some in stock (ask LBR). Or you could go the used route. $300 will get something real decent. I'd also suggest staying away from getting something too short for a beginner.

You'll also notcie that most newer bows can handle FF string material, while older bows can not and need to use Dacron Material. Don't know if that important to you or not. Personally, I prefer FF (DF-97), so I threw that in there.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd settle in on something in the 50-55 pound range. With the right arrows and broadheads, that's enough bow to handle most anything you'll run into in Texas, as well as most of the rest of North America.

Your draw length might drop an inch from compound to recurve. It's hard to say because I don't know what kind of form you use with your compound. If you use a significant bend in the elbow now, you won't be able to do that with a stickbow and your draw length won't change much. If you use a straight elbow with the c'pound, then you're draw length is more likely to be shorter.

Like Wingbone, I'd also suggest sticking with bows that are at least 60" long. That's a pretty good length for a hunting bow, considering your draw length. 62" might be a bit better, but much depends on the bow and limb design. Some 62's stack like bricks while some 60's draw smooth as butter. And vice versa.

I would suggest looking at used bows. You can often get a real deal on a terrific custom bow if you've got a $300 bill in your pocket. If you want to go with a new bow, then I'd suggest hitting www.recurves.com and looking at the ChekMate Falcon.

Before dropping cash on a bow though, I'd really, really recommend going to an all-traditional shoot and letting it be known that you're interested in going from compound to traditional. That's the best way to get to see, and even try, a good variety of bows at one time. Check out Traditional Bowhunters of Texas' website ( www.tbot.org ) to find traditional shoots around the state. We're having one up here in Denton the third weekend in February, if you think you can find your way through Dallas.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

i Gotta Chek-Mate Falcon on order Throu Chad Weaver(LBRon thisForum)at recurves.com...still waiting for it to Come...Chad is a cool cat to deal with...the only other trad "shop" ive talked with is...

Barefoot Traditions
(515) 282-4623 617 Euclid Ave
Des Moines, IA

the owners name escapes me but they are good people and have a ton of bows in this place...its all traditional...they would be able to hook you up with a great used bow...or new one if you'd like.

the first trad bow i shot was a PSE Impala that was given to me and i still use it...the first trad bow i bought was a used one peice Ben Pearson that was 60inches and 43 pounds at my 27.5 inch draw....the limbs now have a little twist to them but its still shootable...i paid 70 dollars for it and a dozen arrows with a new string...it was worth it because it made me realize it was something i was going to stick with.