Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 1st time elk hunt, where do I start? >

1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:30 PM

Default 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

I am not looking for everyones secret spot, but I am looking for a good starting point for an elk hunt as far as states, guided or not, buying tags ,just some general info for a few guys that want to move past white tail and try the big game, and when the boys get old enough Ill have some good pointers. I have seen to many adds that reguire thousands for such a trip and not sure what to do. so please point me in the right direction. thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 PM

Default RE: 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

First, you need to decide what you want to get out of an elk hunt. Seriously sit down and evaluate your priorities. If you want a trophy bull, you will need to go the outfitter route. If the hunt is more about comaraderie and being in the mountains, then a DIY hunt might be in order. Do you want to bow hunt or gun hunt? Here in Montana it is not uncommon to drive 1 1/2 hours through the mountains to get to your spot, then another 2 hours of dark hiking to get into position at first light. My point is, hunting can get long and tiring. If your a hiker the mountains can be brutal, you must be in shape. Perhaps you prefer to drive around looking for herds, that's a lot easier. It is imperative to identify the kind of hunt you are looking for. You can do it, but you must be prepared.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:52 PM

czap,

I read your post with interest, but didn't feel the energy to write the encyclopedia required to answer it; however, ....

Muley69 has given it some pretty good thought and articulated a pretty good response from which to begin. Answer some of his specifics so we know which way to turn and we'll see what we can do. Please, start with "rifle or bow" AND "trophy or meat."

EKM
Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

For a start search out and read all the books and articles you can get your hands on. Be prepared for all weather, it can change very quickly in elk country. I've seen it change from sunny, 70 degrees to windy and snow in a few hours. Always carry a pack with gear to spend a cold night in the back country- fire starter, extra clothes, GPS/compass, map, etc. Good light weight, waterproof boots are a must. Get in shape.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Szap, You have your homework cut out for you. Division sites on the net will help answer some of your questions. If you go to Colorado Division of Wildlife it has a link page that will give you web adress for all the state sites. This will cover prices and how to apply for licenses for the different states. Also give you an idea of how many years it will take to get a premium tag if that is what you want. If you are looking at Colo., where I am at, you can buy a tag over the counter in many areas for bow or rifle. But if you want a huge bull, and we have some nice bulls here, you need to look at other states. AZ, NM, NV, MT, would be good choices. If you want a fun hunt in a state that has the largest population of elk, Colo. is your state. But I think you should know, and it has been said, get in good shape. Hunting elk is going to be a work out for you. You will need good optics also. Elk country is big no matter where you go and optics play an important role. If you are on your own a GPS or compass and maps will be needed to learn country and get back to camp. Calling can play a part also in getting elk in close if you are a bowhunter. I can go on and on, but here is a starting point. If you are a rifle hunter, there are some guys on this site that can help you with bullets and such. I am a bowhunter. A web site you should look at, www.elknut.com. Good luck on your quest.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-01-2004, 06:21 PM

I would consider a guide for the first time, even if you dont get a huge bull the experience will be invaluable. Trying to elk hunt "LIVE WITHOUT A NET" can really be tough and disheartening. W/ a guide you can get a feel for it w/o hanging yourself out there on a limb. If you can hook up w/ a experienced elk hunter to throw in w/ you can do ok also, but if you screw things up a guy who isnt being paid to put up with rookie mistakes isnt going to be a patient as the guy you paid to help you. good luck
Old 12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will break it down,Colorado seems as good as any for elk.
1.Get your app's in
2.Draw a tag if or when
3.Start excercise
4.Pratice with your rifle at least two times a week.
5.Get your ducks in a row,clothes,baggs,gear ect.
6.Ask ? and lots of them.
If this a do it-your-selfer,get the stuff now and I mean after X-mass.
This should get ya started we can all help fill in the blanks later.
BBJ
Old 12-02-2004, 07:20 PM

szap,

"Are you out there?"

EKM
Old 12-04-2004, 01:45 AM

szap, I thought we were going to get you started here?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

szap must have went christmas shopping!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.