Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Arrows...What do I need to do? >

Arrows...What do I need to do?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows...What do I need to do?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrows...What do I need to do?

First... I apologize for the potential lack of accurate terminology. I'm new to archery and have a steep learning curve to overcome and need lots of help. I'm shooting an American Archery Barracuda(57" 47#@28") My draw length is between 28-29". I purchased some carbon arrows from Cabelas and had them cut there. They measure 28 3/8" from the base of the nock groove to the base of the 100 grain field point. The spec on the box is 400 55/70... 4" vanes.
I was shooting today at about 15 yards and the arrows were not flying straight. Is this normal for a recurve? I see people shooting compounds and crossbows and the arrow's flight path is pretty true. What do I need to do to correct this? Add weight to the arrow? Would it help to shoot 125 gr points? Do I need to insert weight to the spine itself? If I ever get it together, I'd like to deer and turkey hunt with this bow. Any and all comments are much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrows...What do I need to do?

well I am new to recurve shooting myself and was having this same problem with my arrows. I called the near by outfitter and the owner told me that if i was having this problem then it could be becuase I have plastic vanes, he told me I need feathers. I dont know if this was true but I am going to try it in the next couple of days.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the input. I would eventually like to get some cedar arrows with the flu flu vanes. The carbon with plastic should work though. I have no idea what I'm doing but have a feeling my arrows are too light for the amount of power driving them.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 PM

Hey big,

This isn't your fault in the least. First, the archery guy at cabelas didn't sell you the correct arrows. 55/70's are too stiff in spine weight for your bow. And, shooting vanes of a shelf is another reason they are flying weird. They are cut way too short as well. Are they the hunters? If so, they are 8.7 grains per inch. At that arrow length they are only 245 grains. With 100 grain tip and 12 grains for insert and 8 for vanes only gives you a total of 365 grains in arrow weight. At 47#'s that's 7.7 grains per pound of draw weight. Way too low for a traitional bow. You should be at 425 grains minumum.

I'm sorry to say but, unless you can put 250 grains up front, I doubt you will ever tune those arrows. Even at that much weight up front, you may never be able to.

What type of string is on the bow? Is it a fast flight or flemish?What isthe bows'brace height? Measure from the deepest part of the riser to the string.What is thestring nock height from the shelf. In other words, if you placed a bow square perpendicular on the shelf and clipped it onto the string,how high is the string nock from being level with the shelf?

You may need to raise the brace height, by twisting the string counter clockwise, 1/4". That should be around4 or 5complete turns of the string. But don't raise it too much above the manufacturesr recommendation. You may also need to raise the string nock 1/8" to 1/4".

Unfortunately those arrows are going to be a problem. I'm sorry to say that but he cut them like he would for a compound instead of tuning them to your bow to get the proper length and spine wieght.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the great info PA. The brace height is 4 7/8"... does that sound right? I measured from the deepest part of riser, where I hold the bow. I know that's the riser but is it the right spot? The nock is 5/8" from the shelf.
Ugh! At least Cabela's has a 100% satisfaction guarantee and I'm not satisfied
I'm not sure what type of string I have. I had gone to a local archery shop to have them put one on. How do I tell the difference? Thank you for your help. I'm like a fish out of water. I'm off of work until after the new year and was hoping to do a lot of shooting... maybe not.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Big,

Don't worry about knowing all. You're just starting out and it is a new experience.

4 7/8" is way too low! A recurve usually starts around 8" in brace height. If the bow is 57", how long is the string? It should be close to 53". Can you take a pic of the bow and send it to my PM? If an archery shop sold you the string andput it on for you they should have known it was too low.

Is the string black with re-enforced loops made of a synthetic material? Or, is it light brown and yellowmade of a thin linen string? Does your bow have tip over lay's? They would be glued to the front ofthe bowstips.

Satisfaction guaranteed?Call and return the arrows. They screwed up, BIG.

The reason I'm asking about the string material is it will make a difference in what arrow spine you may need.If it is a fast flight, you can go up in spine weight because the material transfers more of the bows stored energy to the arrow. If it is a flemish, then you need to be very accurate in spine weight.

Unlike a compound, it is important to tune your arrows to the bow. You should cut one arrow in 1/4 inch increaments until it is properly spined to the bow. That is to say, until you can shoot a bare shaft arrow, with a field tip, to 20 yards. And that arrow should hit the target and not wave while in flight. Study this web site to become familiar with the tuning process.

http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

I hope this helps you out, Big.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

PA,

I'll PM you the pictures. The string measures 55" unstrung. The string is black with re-enforced loops made of a synthetic material and the tips do have overlays.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM

Okay Big,

Lets try to get this straightend out for you.

The string is too long. A longbow string should be 3" shorter than the distance between limb nocks and a recurve should be 3 1/2 to 4 inches shorter.

I got the picture and it is a fast flight string. Remove the bottom string loop from the bottom limb nock and twist counter clock wise. Probably 15 complete turns. Try to get a brace height of at least 7 1/2" to 7 3/4". This will increase the bows draw weight and get it closer to its' peak performance. You will have toadjust the string nock after as well. After, replace the 100 grain field tip, too light, with 150's. I also saw a rest on the stike plate. If you are shooting vanes then the arrows must be perfectly spined. Other wise the arrow will never arch, paradox,around the bow enough for the vanes to miss the rest or strike plate/shelf. If you can, use arrows fletched with feathers.

The reason an arrow must be spined correctly to a traditional bow is becausethe arrow must bend around the bows riser in order for it to not come in contact with the bow. This is known as archers paradox. If it is under spined it will bend too much and the fletchings will kick to the left and hit right. If it is over spined the arrow/fletchings will hit the shelf/strike plate and fly all over. I'm sure that is what is happening to you.

The vanes are a problem because they do not flex enough like feathers to allow minimul interference with the shelf/strike plate or rest. Feathers bend enough to not cause too many problems. You can also try to shoot with the cock feather in. This might help. But like I said before, those arrows may be too short and too stiff of a spine for them to ever tune properly.

If you can return them, order them with feathers and 30" long. That way you can tune better by increasing the tip weight. Increasing the tip weight decreases the arrows spine. At 30" you can probably use 150 grain tips and they should fly well.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks PA! This is great information. I'd like to shoot off the shelf, so should I remove the rest and put on a strike plate? I have one that came with the new rug I put on. The old one was pretty bad.
What type of arrow do you recommend? Wood, Al, Carbon? Can you get carbon arrows with feathers? Thanks again! I really appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM

You can simply remove the rest and add the strike plate pad.You can order carbons with feathers. Start with 5" feathers with an off set/ left or right helical, it makes no difference. This will help stabilize the arrow flight better than a straight fletch.It doesn't matter which type arrow you use. Just as long as it is the proper spine weight and at least 9 grains per pound of draw weight. If you are shooting 47#'s then the total arrow weight should be 425grains. Check what your actual draw length is. If it is 29" then you should shoot 29 3/4" or 30" arrow. Which means you need to go up in spine weight.

How did it shoot after raising the brace height?

Quick Reply: Arrows...What do I need to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.