Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 advice from traditional archers? >

advice from traditional archers?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

advice from traditional archers?

Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default advice from traditional archers?

My mom keptasking me about what I wanted for christmas.I looked on ebay and saw that the old bear kodiak magnum bows not only hold thier value but gain over time,and seemed to be a good bow to hunt with and stand the test of time,so I baught a 1977 kodiak magnum.I know I`ll have to put some feathers on some of my arrows,can I still shoot carbon? the bow is 45# @ 28 ,does`nt seem like very much but it`s pretty standard.how heavy should my arrows be? I`m familiar with "point on" shooting and I dont plan to screw sights on to the bow,I suppose I`ll have to start using terms like "fist meal".This should be a whole new adventure.Any advice from experienced traditional archers would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: advice from traditional archers?

JLA
Whats your Draw Length ?
You can still shoot carbons...they just have to be the right ones...Traditional bows can be very "picky" when it comes to arrows.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 28 inch draw,I have alot of carbons(probobly 45 or so) I fletch my own arrows,so parabolic,turkey,or some kind of feathers I suppose for shooting off the shelf.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:49 AM

If you have a 28" draw length on a compound, you will probably loose 1 to 1 1/2 inches of draw length on a traditioanl bow. Check to see the exact draw length. If it drops 1 inch you will loose 2 pounds of draw weight.

You can still shoot carbons but, like Alpha said, they must be spined correctly. If not, you will have very poor arrow flight. Also, make sure to tune the bows brace height and string nock with properly spined arrows.

45#'s is a good starting weight to learn proper shooting form. It may take a while to become proficiant but keep at it.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I will keep at it until my bow is as deadly as a gun from 25 yards or more.What should my brace hight be?I figured I`d loose an inch or so from my compound draw length,where should my anchor point be?With carbons,what spine to use,could I actually be over spined with 45-60`s or 60-75`s? does the length of my arrows still matter or could I use a 30 inch arrow and still have good arrow flight?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would start withhalf a dozen20-16aluminum at 29-29.5" long125grain tip...after finding the brace hieght you like(make sure its the same everytime you string your bouw up...just use a tape measure)thenfinda knock point that fly's them strait.

move to the next size up or down...down more than likely..if they dont fly right. (this way you can find the perfect arrow)with a 125 grain tip...go with alum (they are cheaper and you can go out in the woods and stump shoot without spending a fortune on arrows) also i woudn't worry about speed with Trad equip.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

I will keep at it until my bow is as deadly as a gun from 25 yards or more.What should my brace hight be?I figured I`d loose an inch or so from my compound draw length,where should my anchor point be?With carbons,what spine to use,could I actually be over spined with 45-60`s or 60-75`s? does the length of my arrows still matter or could I use a 30 inch arrow and still have good arrow flight?
Brace height will probably be anywhere from 7-8 inches... Start low and move up.

I shoot 3 under and I anchor with my thumb nuckle in the indention behind the ear lobe and I use the feather to touch my nose... Double Anchor.

You can manipulate the spine with length and point weight.

For example, I shoot 6070's from a 50lb recurve and they fly great. However, they are 31 inches long and I only draw 27. That will give you an idea of how spines can be manipulated.

Do some research on sites like stickbow.com and tradgang.com All of your questions have been addressed in the past.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can manipulate the spine with length and point weight

Good post DC i wanted to say that to0.... but didnt know how to put it too make it sound so simple....

DC
do you like shooting arrows that long with a short draw?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:11 PM

DC
do you like shooting arrows that long with a short draw?

Yes I do, I'm a gapper and shooting longer arrows makes it easier to see my gaps... Plus it gives me a heavy arrow without having to use some ridiculously heavy broadhead or field tip