Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Shot a Doe, can't find >

Shot a Doe, can't find

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Shot a Doe, can't find

Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
bigcountry

Default Shot a Doe, can't find

Man, I am just heartbroken. Hit little far back, but definate lung shot. She was little angled to me, so I might have hit only one lung but should have gotten the diaphram or liver too. I miss my pentration of my compound. I guess I wasn't ready yet to take a shot with the stick. It was like 20 yards. She jumped and ran 45 yards and just stood there for 10 min. Finally bedded down. It got dark, and I sat in my stand figuring it has only been 30 min. So I started down and as soon as my feet the ground I heard her take off. Followed blood until 8PM last night, and it got less and less, then a drop every 30 yards until nothing.

Just ashamed of myself. Should have aimed at teh shoulder, I always have this trouble of hitting to the right with my bow.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Default RE: Shot a Doe, can't find

Sounds like a typical gut shot, maybe liver....... I've learned the hard way that you rarely find them if you jump them from that first bed..... You never know though, keep looking and give it your best....

Been there, done that.... I feel your pain.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear. It also sounds like a liver (stomach)to me, maybe with a lung.

I heard a quote recently that goes something like this.

"If you become an active participantat mother natures table, these type of things will happen."

If you don't have the book "Tracking wounded deer" by John Trout, then I suggest getting it. It is THE best tracking book out there IMO.

Best of luck finding her.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:30 PM
bigcountry

Well, never did find her. See, here is the deal. I went thru this bad period once where I lost like 3 animals in one season. Missed at a nice moose with gun. Bascially, I thought I was cursed that year. I swrugged off the curse, and haven't lost an animal for 3-4 years. Just hate it when I loose one. Oh well, I have been blessed with a few nice deer this year. Just got to get back out there.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, never did find her. See, here is the deal. I went thru this bad period once where I lost like 3 animals in one season. Missed at a nice moose with gun. Bascially, I thought I was cursed that year. I swrugged off the curse, and haven't lost an animal for 3-4 years. Just hate it when I loose one. Oh well, I have been blessed with a few nice deer this year. Just got to get back out there.
That is why it is called hunting, you have to hunt for it even after the shot,LOL
I know it is frustrating loosing an animal but ,Hey !
That is part of the game.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hear it. I can relate. I lost a doe this year to the river. Shot her 20 yards from the river, she turned and piled up in the river. The river washed her away. I guess the buzzards and worms got to eat. It does suck.