Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em' >

Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em'

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em'

Old 11-10-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em'

Guys,
Shot the first buck of my bowhunting life at 4 pm wed. He was a nice 8 point standing 25 yards broadside. I hit him high, right above the vitals, the arrow went in en did not exit due to hitting his left front shoulder blade. I gave him 2 hours, came back, found a blood trail, but after 120 yards it stopped. Thje blood was bright red which i assumed was lung blood so i decided to let him be for the night. Came back 6 am this mornin, found no more blood, but found a bloody pile of what i assume to be vomit(smeeled like when u accidently hit the stomach with ur gut knife) 1/4 mile down from the last drop of blood. Me and 5 freinds searched for 5 hours this mornin to no avail. Any advice?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em'

Keep searchin!!!! He's dead.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you read the recovery post pinned at the top of the page? Welcome to the forums but that's a heck of a second post. [&:] And take a look at this link.

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

Advice, like Carpmaster said, go back out and look again, he's down for good and take your bow for a walk and keep looking.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck finding him buddy!!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Keep looking hes dead. the arrow didnt exit causing his body cavity to fill up. he shouldnt be to much farther, good luck hope you find him.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:55 PM

Look, look, look, then look some more. Read all the posts on this forum about wounded deer---try to think like a wounded deer. Good luck, and remember that anything in that area is going to at least NICK a lung.
Hope ya find him, keep us posted.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:06 PM

Keep Looking...Be persistent and don't give up till you find him. From what you've said - he's definitely dead. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:53 PM

Well in my opinion, you hit what is called no-mans-land the spot right above the vitals with nothing but tissue and bone. You may have clipped a lung and the other side but that's it! The pile of blood you found is probably where the deer bedded for the night. Remember bright red blood also means a muscle hit too. The reason you did not find anymore blood is due to the deer licking himself overnight. Take a real good look at the blood if it is drops on leaves then you know it was a muscle or tissue hit which would explain blood for about 100yards or less , then nothing, the deer was bleeding only where it ran because the hole or holes were open. Once it laid down it was gone expect for maybe a small trace or small drops. Your deer is dead or is going to die soon, If it were me I would check all water sources in the area, deer are know for being wounded and going to water. Keep your head up, unfortunatly this is one of the hardships we endure as bowhunters. Remember your a good shot, don't let this bring your confidence down. I hope you find it, It's OK to let go of him if you made a 100% effort and did everthing humanly possiable to find him. Good luck in you search, I wish you well.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

No mans zone that's a good one.
Could you point out where this zone is.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

This will help also

Quick Reply: Shot an 8 pointer, Cant find Em'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.