Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shot a buck...cant find him

Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default shot a buck...cant find him

I shot a buck this morning around 8. I waited about 35 min to go look for him and he was bedded down but had not expired yet and got up and gimped away. I left and thought I'd give him some more time. Went out about an hour later and for the last 3 hrs me and my dad have been following his blood trail. It's a decent trail but we can't find him. I think I hit him in the shoulder. How long until I should go back out?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shot a buck...cant find him

First of all, as excited as your most likely were, next time try not to jump the gun so fast. Once you bumped him the first time you should have backed out for atleast 3-4 hours IMO and given that deer more than enough time to expire. The second time you could have bumped him again and again and had him run all over gods creation, making it even more difficult to recover now. All you can do is learn from experience and your doing the right thing by waiting it out right now. Depending on the blood trail and your current temperatures id leave him as long as you safely can before getting back on the trail. Good Luck.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

The temps aren't too bad...42 and dropping...if I don't go back out tonight, I wont be able to try looking again until about 2-3 tomorrow afternoon. Should I wait until then?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you jumped him and he "gimped" away, why didn't you put another shot in him?