Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shot one ( cant find it any ideas?) >

shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

this morning i went out with my bow... its the last day of muzzleloader here in ohio but i broke the nipple yesterday so this morning i took my bow out instead.. around 8:20 a doe and a spike came out of the brush.. i took aim and shot the doe.. i walked up to look for blood and kicked a very nice buck out and another doe but anyways i found my arrow.. it was covered from tip to fletching in bright red blood(Good) but it also had white hair on it... she was bleeding like a stuck hog... i followed puddles of blood for about 350 yards and the blood started getting smaller and turned to nothing... i couldnt believe she ran that far.. i looked everywhere for about 3 hours and couldnt find her..i found white hair while tracking to..not to mention 4 big bucks i seen running together that easily scored 130 plus the biggest maybe 160.. anyways DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA OF WHERE I MIGHT HAVE HIT HER??? PLENTY OF BLOOD THAT WENT TO NO BLOOD ANY IDEAS OR ANYTHING?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Well you need to tell us a little more about the hit. The way that it sounds you must have entered or exited low but from what you've said that's just a guess. Were you on the ground or in a tree? Did you not see the arrow hit? Give us some more info.
Typical Buck

My uncle shot a deer a few years ago and showed me the arrow. There was white fur and blood all over it also. But his deer bedded down just 50 yards away and thats where he found it. He had shot his in the white part of the neck. Although its probly not likely, it is possible that you may have hit her there. I have seen perfecly shot deer run for a very long time and this is probly what happned to your deer. Just an idea.....
Typical Buck

Sounds like a muscle hit to me.Did you see the impact of the arrow? How did she react? But based on the color of the blood, the white hair and the distance you trailed her, I'd say a muscle of some sort, but would need more info to be positive.

Slice

Old 12-30-2005, 10:20 AM

sounds to me like you hit her low. i shot a really nice buck one year during shotgun sean and hit him low like that. he ran 1/2 mile over to the neighbors property run under his stand and he finished it off. i would most definately back off and give her time. you possibly pushed her too. i wouldn't give up though. it is very possible she lost enough blood, but very likely she went a long way. good luck to ya and keep us posted.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

i was on the ground .. 25-30 yard shot... she was standing broadside and went to turn to the left as the arrow struck ... it did look low but still looked like a kill shot... any thing else u need let me know..
Old 12-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

I had a buddy that shot at a buck this season and had blood all over the arrow. We had ALOT of blood, bright red blood ,and white hair. He wasn't sure of the hit. We followed it for a while and just like you described, the trail ended all of the sudden after over 100 yards of a real good blood trail. A week later, I shot the same buck and found that my buddy had only sliced the belly of the buck.Could you have sliced the doe low?

SLice
Old 12-30-2005, 10:34 AM

It is clear to me that you either hit very low or in front of the legs, because of the white hair. I also feel this way because the blood was bright red with no food or gut material. The deer may not die, but any hope of finding it if it does die is to give it 3/4 hours before tracking. I shot one earlier this year through the shoulder into the neck. It did not die, and I killed him three weeks later.

You said you found puddles, this may be where the deer tried to bed up but heard you coming and ran. From all of the deer you heard running about, you may not have noticed the doe jumping up on you. How long did you let the deer sit before looking?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 AM

I think you hit it in the briskit. Way low. Good Luck finding her.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM

Check near water. I know this sounds odd but try it you have nothin to lose. My grandfather has been huntin dinosaurs and deer since beginning of time. Sorry not dinosaurs but hes old enough it might as well have been. Anyway he says deer will try to stop the bleeding by rolling in mud to try to close the hole. I have never seen it but he swears by it. I would also hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Quick Reply: shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.