Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Is Black Widow Woth The Price ???? >

Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Old 04-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Spike

Default RE: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

all these comments have me anxious to get back and start my test drive. just over a week left in country before i can call and get one in the mail. i will definately take your advice and try out a few other bows as well. just have to locate some guys around the bow shop that shoot traditional ( sure some would rather me touch there woman than their bow ). i appretiate the advice and comments.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:05 PM

My PL X has no hand shock at all. That being said, I shoot right at 10gr/lb on this 51# bow, carbon and wood.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Spike

Black Widow are not the only bows that are expensive. Take a look at Morrison Archery, BlackTail, and Robertson. A similar looking bow called Habu is more expensive than the Black Widow.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There's a lot of bows in the BW price range, and some that make a BW look like a bargain. I've shot some of them--none of the ones I have shot were worth it to me, and at least a couple were pretty crappy in my hands. The price tag doesn't make the bow shoot any better or any worse.

Chad
Old 04-09-2006, 07:13 PM

I have had, owned, bought, sold, traded etc etc about all of them, some as much as $1500 (Adocck ACS with 2 sets of limbs, 3 piece TD )

Black Widows have a fantastic build as far as finish and looks. I've seen Blacktails and they're same quality IMO, Hummingbird too. Adcock bows are awesome. Morrison are really nice but I think the quality is lacking a bit - but I sure like my Shawnee. Theres a second tier of bowyers that just don't put quite the glassy, awesome finish that the top guys do - and the bow prices reflect. Not worse bows by any means, just not quite as fine or pricey.

Theres a bottom tier too just like in anything. They're the cheap bows, mass produced for the most part.

Widows are worth their money - USED. I don't think I'd ever buy a new one. Of course I'll never buy new again anyway for what thats worth. But a PSAX in bocote is about the prettiest dang bow built I think.

I wish Widow made a 3 piece TD longbow - they'd sellhundreds and you KNOW they'd look awesome and shoot good.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Mind, if I remember correctly you owned many of those bows for less than a month? I don't know what all you've had, but I'll bet you haven't owned nearly all of them. Maybe a big portion of the ones that cause a stir here and there on the boards, but even swapping once a week my bet is it would take at least a few years to cover them all. I couldn't name all of the ones I've owned, much less all the ones I've shot. I had over 30 personal bows at one time, and I know I've only tapped the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and with onlyaround 15 years of traditional archery experience under my belt, I still consider myself little more than a novice. I do know that some things took a long time to learn and understand, and I knowI cannot get a true feel for a bow with a couple hundred arrows. I can generally determine that I really don't like a bow pretty quick, sometimes without even shooting it (if I don't like the grip or the way it draws, I'm not going to like it), but really getting to know a bow takes some time. You have to get that bow tuned, figure out what string material and number of strands it "likes", silencer placement, arrow spine, etc. to see just how good it can feel and shoot.

Buying used is a great way to save a lot of money, especially with the more expensive bows, but you have to do your homework and get a bow that fits you. If you draw 26" and get a bow that was made for a 30" draw, that bow isn't going to work as well for you--or vice-versa. Another drawback is many companies (including BW) void the warranty if the bow changes hands.

Most any bow built with beautiful woods will be a beautiful bow. I really like birdseye bocote, the figured maples, and several others, but to date I haven't seen a nicer wood than Japanese Tamo Ash (with the right figure, of course).

I'm partial to accents that show some skill and grace and artistryon the bowyer's part--straight, stacked accents don't do much for me. Mike Treadaway (Black Forrest Longbows) made the most impressive one I've ever seen in that department. It was a true work of art, and the only bow I've ever seen that wasn't a collectable that, to me, was worth the $1,000 price tag--I believe he actually had that much work in it. 'Course if I'd had the money to buy it, I would have only displayed it and not shot it. Only with I'd gotten a picture of it--it was absolutely amazing.

One other thing I've noticed. The longerI'm in this sport, the more I realize just how muchI DON'T know about it.I've made thousands of strings, and I'm still learning. Not likely I'll live long enough to know even half of all there is to know about bows--but it sure is fun trying.

Chad
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 AM

Chad - I don't know how many I've owned ......... I had 17 at one time once and realized I had a problem at that point

I know within a dozen shots if the bow I'm shooting is one I'd like to keep. I have small girly hands - and its not unlike a glove when I pick a bow up, draw it and shoot it. Sure, you can fine tune the bow, shoot different arrows etc etc, but a bow to me has a "feel" and some just "feel" better than others and it don't take hardly anytime at all for me to "feel" a bow out.

Example recently I bought a 3 piece Adcock off a guy, 58# bow. Mine is 52# and I was giddy to get this 58# one. Got it in, strung it and first shot I knew that bow wasn't for me. Why ? Same boywer as my 52# bow, same poundage as my Shawnee, same length as my 52# ......... but it "felt" so much differnt. I hated it to be honest. The guy I sold it to ? LOVES it. Go figure.

I just bought a Bill Stewart 1993 model Multi-Cam recurve, 2 sets of limbs. I've never shot one of those bows and decided I wanted to. I don't think I'll lose money on it. Its a 64" bow with 55# and 59# limbs. Will it "fit" me ? Who knows - I won't know until I get it in my hand.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You said a few things that confirm what I said.

I know within a dozen shots if the bow I'm shooting is one I'd like to keep.
I agree, to a point. Like I said, I know right away if I don't like the grip, the draw, or even the looks of a bow. However, a little tuning can go a long way as far as shooting. I've seen it too many times--sometimes a bow that is noisy and shocky can turn into a sweetheart with a little tuning. A dozen shots won't tell you this.

Example recently I bought a 3 piece Adcock off a guy, 58# bow. Mine is 52# and I was giddy to get this 58# one. Got it in, strung it and first shot I knew that bow wasn't for me. Why ? Same boywer as my 52# bow, same poundage as my Shawnee, same length as my 52# ......... but it "felt" so much differnt. I hated it to be honest. The guy I sold it to ? LOVES it. Go figure.
Another point made--who a bow was made for can make all the difference sometimes--even if it's the same bow, same bowyer, even the same materials, poundage, and length. Nobody can judge them all by shooting one or two.

I had 17 at one time once and realized I had a problem at that point
Lol--it's addictive ain't it! Now I will say that you did "own" a lot more bows than the average person in a given amount of time, but there are no shortcuts to getting experience. I saw a post made by a fellow once where he said that he had "mastered" the longbow in something like 3 weeks? Maybe it was 3 months, I can't remember for sure, but either way it was the guy's inexperience talking--I don't care if you are Howard Hill's clone, nobody masters a longbow (or any other bow) in 3 months.

Nothing at all wrong with being confident in yourself--you will be a better archer for it--but there are some things that you just don't learn over night, or even in just a few years.

Btw, are you going to make it to any shoots this year?

Chad
Old 04-10-2006, 01:21 PM

I dunno man .......... work has this weird schedule thing going, my trips to Belize, Colorado and Kansas are going to eat my vacation up and my other time needs to be spent on the kids at the lake & camping you know ? I have been stump shooting .......... first shot the other day, 41 steps and I was 2" from busting a wood shaft against the cut end of a piece of oak which would have been fine with me ! I've been shooting the Shawnee pretty dang well .......... just need 62" or 64" limbs on it instead of those short 58" ones

I agree on the pointsyou made. Some guys like Hill style mule kicking bows, I don't. Some guys like the heavy risered Widow recurves - I don't. I've heard some guys even like this off-brand Canadian built bow called ChekMate but thats just a rumor, i don't think they really exist
Old 04-10-2006, 01:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Bring the wife and kids with you! At the bigger shoots, especially Twin Oaks, they will have a ball--especially the kids.

Chek-Mates do exist, but they are really made by adolecent Korean kids that are working for Canadian citizenship. Once they get old enough to realize they are supposed to be getting paid, they are "let go" and replaced with new ones.

Have you tried a Cascade yet? Now THERE is a bow! Way better than that Chek-Mate crap! (although they do cost a bit more--but you get what you pay for, right?)[8D]

Chad

Quick Reply: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.