HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

You said a few things that confirm what I said.

I know within a dozen shots if the bow I'm shooting is one I'd like to keep.
I agree, to a point. Like I said, I know right away if I don't like the grip, the draw, or even the looks of a bow. However, a little tuning can go a long way as far as shooting. I've seen it too many times--sometimes a bow that is noisy and shocky can turn into a sweetheart with a little tuning. A dozen shots won't tell you this.

Example recently I bought a 3 piece Adcock off a guy, 58# bow. Mine is 52# and I was giddy to get this 58# one. Got it in, strung it and first shot I knew that bow wasn't for me. Why ? Same boywer as my 52# bow, same poundage as my Shawnee, same length as my 52# ......... but it "felt" so much differnt. I hated it to be honest. The guy I sold it to ? LOVES it. Go figure.
Another point made--who a bow was made for can make all the difference sometimes--even if it's the same bow, same bowyer, even the same materials, poundage, and length. Nobody can judge them all by shooting one or two.

I had 17 at one time once and realized I had a problem at that point
Lol--it's addictive ain't it! Now I will say that you did "own" a lot more bows than the average person in a given amount of time, but there are no shortcuts to getting experience. I saw a post made by a fellow once where he said that he had "mastered" the longbow in something like 3 weeks? Maybe it was 3 months, I can't remember for sure, but either way it was the guy's inexperience talking--I don't care if you are Howard Hill's clone, nobody masters a longbow (or any other bow) in 3 months.

Nothing at all wrong with being confident in yourself--you will be a better archer for it--but there are some things that you just don't learn over night, or even in just a few years.

Btw, are you going to make it to any shoots this year?

Chad