HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Mind, if I remember correctly you owned many of those bows for less than a month? I don't know what all you've had, but I'll bet you haven't owned nearly all of them. Maybe a big portion of the ones that cause a stir here and there on the boards, but even swapping once a week my bet is it would take at least a few years to cover them all. I couldn't name all of the ones I've owned, much less all the ones I've shot. I had over 30 personal bows at one time, and I know I've only tapped the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and with onlyaround 15 years of traditional archery experience under my belt, I still consider myself little more than a novice. I do know that some things took a long time to learn and understand, and I knowI cannot get a true feel for a bow with a couple hundred arrows. I can generally determine that I really don't like a bow pretty quick, sometimes without even shooting it (if I don't like the grip or the way it draws, I'm not going to like it), but really getting to know a bow takes some time. You have to get that bow tuned, figure out what string material and number of strands it "likes", silencer placement, arrow spine, etc. to see just how good it can feel and shoot.

Buying used is a great way to save a lot of money, especially with the more expensive bows, but you have to do your homework and get a bow that fits you. If you draw 26" and get a bow that was made for a 30" draw, that bow isn't going to work as well for you--or vice-versa. Another drawback is many companies (including BW) void the warranty if the bow changes hands.

Most any bow built with beautiful woods will be a beautiful bow. I really like birdseye bocote, the figured maples, and several others, but to date I haven't seen a nicer wood than Japanese Tamo Ash (with the right figure, of course).

I'm partial to accents that show some skill and grace and artistryon the bowyer's part--straight, stacked accents don't do much for me. Mike Treadaway (Black Forrest Longbows) made the most impressive one I've ever seen in that department. It was a true work of art, and the only bow I've ever seen that wasn't a collectable that, to me, was worth the $1,000 price tag--I believe he actually had that much work in it. 'Course if I'd had the money to buy it, I would have only displayed it and not shot it. Only with I'd gotten a picture of it--it was absolutely amazing.

One other thing I've noticed. The longerI'm in this sport, the more I realize just how muchI DON'T know about it.I've made thousands of strings, and I'm still learning. Not likely I'll live long enough to know even half of all there is to know about bows--but it sure is fun trying.

Chad