Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Cleaning adapters and ferrules pre glue up >

Cleaning adapters and ferrules pre glue up

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Cleaning adapters and ferrules pre glue up

Old 10-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning adapters and ferrules pre glue up

What besides acetone can be used for this task? I'm at work, no acetone handy, but may have rubbing alcohol. Will this work? Anything else?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cleaning adapters and ferrules pre glue up

Denatured alcohol will work fine. Rubbing alcohol is a no-no. Rubbing alcohol has oil in it, and you don't want oil on anything you're gonna glue together. How about mineral spirits? Got any of that handy?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stuff I just used[:@] says "70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol". Ingredients say only the alcohol and purified water, no added oil. Or is the oil part of the "isopropyl" part?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked the cleaning cabinet. There is a can of mineral spirits in there, probably years and years old. Should it still be good?

And I assume if it is it will clean the alcohol oil off?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if you've got a 70% isopropyl alcohol/waterblend, then use it. It's not as good as denatured, but it'll do. The water will still leave a residue when it evaporates, but it's not as bad as oil.

Real rubbing alcohol has some oil in it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I didn't hear from ya in time, so I re-cleaned them with the mineral spirits.

Proceeed to glue up with the Power bond, not really knowing what to expect. Bottle said to "lightly wet" the inside of the ferrule, so I used a q-tip and did it. Added a "few" drops around the adapter as indicated, spun them on and spun check them to the best of my ability.

At this point I should probably interject that I really, really, really hope the ferrules on the woodsmans and the steel adapters are in spec, cause they will only seat one way and there is no wiggle room whatsoever.

As I sit here typing this they are "curing". The powerbond is supposed to take 6-8 hours, and as it's curing, I'm watchin it "swell" and kick the bubbly excess out between the adapter and head. One of them is even pushing the head forward on the ferrule, I probably got an "extra" drop on that one. I keep wiping the excess off, and it's finally slowing down. Good thing, as I'm getting ready to leave for lunch and don't want to come back to a gluey mess all over my desk... [:'(]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

you might try adding a releif hole to the all the heads if you continue to use the probond. similar to drilling in a small hole in the throat of your nock to allow excess glue to come out instead of allowing the nock to ride a little high and not seat on the taper.