Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Face paint

Old 10-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Face paint

Do you guys use this stuff. I never have covered my face with anything and have been up close to lots of deer, heck I never even wore camo tell just last year, green rain coat and green wool pants. Now I have a cammo coat and hat.

Just wondering if this stuf was worth it or if it is just one of those things people do.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Face paint

Never use it, if you do make sure it's not scented. In stalking situations I've rubbed some charcoal from some burnt trees on my face to knock down on the shine, but that's it. I don't wear a facemask either. Don't think it's cost me anything yet. I just grow some scruff during season.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used the face paint once anddidn't like it at all. I'd forget, scratch my nose, and wind up with paint on my shootin' glove. Had that crap all over me by the end of the day.

Ever after,I begin growing my face camo about mid-August. Grow out the beard, a little charcoal dust on the bridge of my nose and pull the cap down low over the forehead. Works like a charm.

Well, it always had.... As years go by tho.... Grecian Formula amyone?[&o]

[8D]
Old 10-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here the deer are pretty well educated. There are two types of guys out there. There are hunters and then there are guys out in trees educating deer. If your deer aren't educated yet, they will be. If you don't cover up your face with something, they'll pick you out in a tree in a heartbeat.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I think it has it's uses, and I think it depends on where you hunt. I've talked to guys that have spots where they actually get bored hunting deer because they see so many from their standthat it's just not much of a challenge (sure wish I had that problem). Then you have places like here, where the deer come in looking up in the trees and bugger when a mouse breaks wind. Pressure will educate a deer, as will uneducated hunters. I'm not a big believer in factory camo, but I do make sure I have something on my hands and face--either camo paint or a mesh headnet and gloves--those two things are what move the most, and seem to stand out the most.

I've heard about places where guys see 60 deer a day from their stands, and places where you can get 12 feet up a tree and the deer will never spot you, but that's just not the case here.

Chad
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Six or seven years ago it became legal to hunt with a rifle out of a tree stand and I have noteced the past few years that deer do look up more. I have deer look me right in the eyes and not see me, unless I move.

I may try some sort of paint on my face just to see how it works. The only thing is I hate having stuff on my face, bad experiance as a kid trick or treating.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use paint, but I do use makeup. It is much cheaper, works better, is scentless, and comes off easier.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the ASAT 3D headnet. Best headnet I've ever worn.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck