Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Carbons and bare shaft tuning >

Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Carbons and bare shaft tuning

Old 09-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carbons and bare shaft tuning

I got it! Know exactly what to do.... Save those arrows for when you get a 60 pound bow. [8D]

I kinda like the bolt and washer idea. You could make some devilish blunts like that.[:-]
Old 09-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had some more thoughts on this. It's not like I'm getting crazy flight, bare shafts simply shoot 3-4" left of fletched. With fletched, flight looks good and I'm hitting what I'm aiming at more often than not.

Perhaps it's not really even an issue then since I'll be hunting with fletched shafts?

It seems that bow cant is the great equalizer. If I hold the bow upright and perfectly vertical, I shoot left. I had previously thought this was due to the shaft not lining up easily under my dominant right eye (I shoot rh), but perhaps its a combination of that and the stiff spine issue. At release, the stiff shaft is veering to the left off the bow riser. When I cant the bow, the bow is still pushing off the riser, but now not as much left but a little more high. When I get to the proper (for me) 2:40 cant, the shaft is under my eye and the arrow impacts on the vertical plan. I probably have to hold lower that if I had the proper spine, but I'm used to shooting this way and I'm hitting the kill zone the overwhelming majority of the time (knocks on wood).

Does that make any sense? Since the fletching is letting me hit where I aim, should I even worry about spine right now? I believe the Martin x-200 I'm shooting is center shot, so it's more forgiving of spine, right?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cant does help out with spine issues. If you've got the arrow hitting the vertical plane with your preferred cant, then sounds like you're there. Just make sure it still does the same when you've got broadheads mounted up.

Why were you trying to tune holding the bow upright and perfectly vertical instead of on your cant anyway? [:-]
Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Cant does help out with spine issues. If you've got the arrow hitting the vertical plane with your preferred cant, then sounds like you're there. Just make sure it still does the same when you've got broadheads mounted up.
Will do.

Why were you trying to tune holding the bow upright and perfectly vertical instead of on your cant anyway? [:-]
I wasn't, it was just for example