Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 need help with bare shaft tuning >

need help with bare shaft tuning

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need help with bare shaft tuning

Old 09-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Default need help with bare shaft tuning

i tried to bare shaft tune my bow the evning and i as i watch the arrow i could see that it was porpising nock high so i move the nocking point down and tried agian with the same reselts,,so i move nocking point up and could not realy tell then but it stuff in the target at a downward angle,,so i do not know what to do,i thought about down loading the easton tuning guide but it would take for even with my computer,,and i did it on granparted puter and i had to use acrobate reader and i dont have it on my puter so i came here for results,,

also i was shooting off to the left of my target as well, and the nock was kicking off to the right in flight,,,
if any y'all could help i would appriciate it
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help with bare shaft tuning

I think your arrows maybe a little stiff.try 65 pounds with your nock point square.make sure your tiller is good.if its a single cam bow turn both limbs up all the way and back them off equal.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM

Several things. First, go lower with your nock point, you just didn't get it low enough the first time. You could also raise the rest. Also, looking at your set up, you shoot a 30" draw with 31" arrows. I don't know a lot about your rest, but it seems to me you could cut those arrows at 29" and gain some spine, bringing them back to the right. Also, head to the shop and paper tune. That will help you determine just how funky your arrows are coming off the bow.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easton will mail you a hard copy of the guide if you call or write them...

5040 Harold Gatty Dr.
Salt Lake City, UT

Phone: 801.539.1400

In the mean time, this has a lot of the same info as the Easton tuning guide...
http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

Make small adjustments. Once I finally got mine close to perfect, it took some rediculously small changes to get it dialed in just right. A 1/4 turn of my limb bolts changed my bare shaft point of impact 6 inches at 30 yards, and put them right in with my fletched arrows. I had been making too big of adjustments, and kept overshooting the sweet spot. Also, you want to shoot bare shafts only when there is no wind.

I find that I get more easily readable results from bare shaft tuning at longer distances. Under 20 yards, it seems you can get false readings depending on your target. If bare shafts are hitting close to the fletched ones right away, then grdually start shooting them further. They really don't start planing a lot untill 30 yards. They can plane pretty badly though if things aren't right, so start in closer and work out to 30.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I recently went thru the same process. This is what worked for me.

I started out with my rest height set at the center line of the bow, thats the hole the rest bolts into. The arrow was exactly bisecting it when viewed from the side. I then set my nock point 1/4" min high. Next I set my center shot by placing an arrow against the machined area of the riseron the insideof whereof where the rest mounts. I adjusted my rest for center shot by makinga nocked arrow and the arrow against the riser pefectly parallel when viewed from directly above. This will get you very close to center shot. It is important to have the nock point above the rest point to start because the arrow can glance off the rest and simulate a high nock point when it is really low.

I then paper tuned the bow and followed with bare shaft. The initial setup can save lot of headaches by knowing up front that the nock point is high and needs to be adjusted down.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 PM

Hey, have you tried paper tuning a bare shaft? That will give you a good idea as to how your bare shaft(s) are leaving the bow. You're not looking fortears or slits, but you're looking to get a literal "bullet hole" consistently AT VARIOUS RANGES from the paper, (say 4,6, 10 ft. etc.)In theory, if the arrow leaves the bowexactly the same way, fletched or not, it should go to the same place downrange. But what do I know, I don't do a lot of 30 yd. bare shaft shootin'.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

No I have not paper tuned with a bare shaft but that sounds logical.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 PM

I'm not saying a "down range" bare shaft test isn't valuable...lots of people swear by it. But while you have the arrows "naked", shoot 'em through paper. That's the only way I was able tofigure out that I was having fletch contact with a host of vanes, INCLUDING Blazers. The fletched shafts had funky tears, the naked ones were bullet holes.