Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Numb finger......??

Old 09-19-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Numb finger......??

I started noticing my ring finger getting numb last week so I took off the entire weekend from shooting. Went out this morning and it is still numb... Between tip and first knuckle....... Consequently, that's where the string is on my ring finger when shooting...... On my first 2 fingers, the string is in the first crease, but for some reason with the ring finger, the string is always between the tip and the crease..... It was hurting pretty bad this morning after I shot..... Now it's just tingly and numb feeling.....

Any thoughts here? Surely I haven't already damaged some nerves? I'm using a skookum glove, which is fairly thick.....???
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Numb finger......??

Not likely you've permanently damaged a nerve...yet. Might want to wrap a bandaid around that fingertip when you shoot to give it a little more padding..

And bring your freakin' elbow down!

Too much pressure on the ring finger is a sure sign you've got your elbow too high at anchor.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 AM

Well I just realized "why" it happens that way........ I broke my hand several years ago and when I hold my fingers out as if I were to grip the string, my ring finger draws back further than the first 2 fingers. I guess I can consciously line them up and see if happens.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had that happen in the past on the middle finger though. It took a while, but the "feeling" came back. I don't believe I took any time off from shooting. And I agree with Art to make sure you have enough protection on the finger for a while.

And also as Art has mentioned, if it is on the ring finger something is wrong. Remember that you want to keep only about 10% of the pressure of the string on that finger.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM

I do shoot 3 under with a very high anchor.....Thumb nuckle behind my ear and fletching touching my nose......

I've filmed myself shooting and didn't notice my elbow being high.... I'll check that out again and make sure nothing has changed.....