Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 New to Traditional  - need a little help >

New to Traditional - need a little help

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New to Traditional - need a little help

Old 08-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Default New to Traditional - need a little help

I picked up a Bear Montana Long bow (55#'s at 28) and 2216 easton game getter II's on ebay a couple weeks ago. Any recommendations on what size broadheads or field tips to start with? or am I just over thinking it?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to Traditional - need a little help

Hi wade, and welcome. You may be a little over spined with the arrows for your setup. But don't worry too much if you are just starting out. Work on getting your form down before anything else and don't worry too much about accuracy. It will come with form. Once you can start grouping your arrows pretty good then try to bare shaft test your setup to tune. I'd recommend using 175 grains field tips (or maybe even 200 grain) for now and see what they will do. I'm thinking more in the line of a 2018 arrowswhen everything is said and done (I'm assuming your draw is 28").

Oh and don't be afraid to ask for any info you may need. They guys around here are very free with their information. You won't hear the old "I knowthe answer but I can't tell you because I have paying customers" crap in this forum (sorry guys - just venting).
Old 08-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Hi Wade ST,

Welcome to the trad side of hunting!! I think most would agree that you may need to experiment with different field tips weights, arrow combinations, etc to find that exactly perfect setup.

As far as broadheads go......... There are tons of good ones. Zwickey, Muzzy, Magnus, etc all have good followings and for good reasons.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
COB

I agree with Bob that you might be a "little" over spined on the arrow. I think I would start with 125 grain field tips. Shoot the arrows and see if you get ant left to right kick. That would be an indicator of over spined arrows. Up and down arrow kick would indicate nocking point. Shoot your arrow and see if you get "kick". If you do you can work up in point weight. Once you get a tip to fly you cna work on the same weigh broadhead. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Believe me, these guys know what they're talking about. I have a 60# recurve and tried the arrows the Easton arrow chart recommended and ended up buying, 2216, 2219, and even a 2512 and they went wild. My concentration and confidence suffered becauseI was sure it was my form or my bow tuning. So in my frustration I kept fiddling with my nock point and brace height and then trying to change my form. Finally I got on here and someone gave me a link to a website called " Arrows by Kelly" and there is a spine chart that recommended 2018's and I went a bought a few of those, fletched them up and WOW what a difference. These guys are a great resource for getting on track with traditional equipment. I check this forum every evening and learn something new, I would post the link but I don't know how, sorry. It's in a post here somewhere. I thinks it is in the one about aLofton bow in the title.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 AM

I figured it out. Here is the link to the spine chart. Arthur P. sent me this link and Easton has one similar if you look at their chart for their Legacy arrows. http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Spine_Charts.html