Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Newbie wants to learn

Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie wants to learn

Hey all,

My name is Vince, I'm new to this area of the forum. I've been wanting to try duck and/or goose hunting, but so far I know pretty much nothing about it. I kind of figured I would wait until later on to try it. But, I was out on the farm a little earlier and shot my first 3 pigeons. If I had as much fun as I did with those, I can't imagine how imagine how much fun it is to go duck or goose hunting. What does one need to do learn duck hunting? I have an almost new Remington 1100, so the gun part istaken care of. What's next? Thanks in advance for any help.

Vince
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Default RE: Newbie wants to learn

Where you live vince?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 20 miles southeast of St. Cloud, MN
Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, i would find some buddies who want to do it with you, or already do it. Then, find places around you that are open to the public, or if you have property, you could hunt that too. Do a whole bunch of scouting, with or without waders. I remember when i first started, i had no waders so i could just watch everyone else pickup the dekes.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum and to the sport. You will find few other things in life as fulfilling and satisfying as waterfowling.

Now, I am a duck hunter and I can speak only to duck hunting. So I'll leave the goose stuff to other guys on here.

I agree with Chris H, your best bet with getting into some decent hunting spots, learning how to read wing beats, how to set up a decoy spread, when to shoot, when to and when not to call, and so on is to get hooked up with some other fellas who already duck hunt. Even if you don't have any friends who duck hunt, it is easy to meet friendly folks who might be willing to let you tag along. You can find these guys down at the sportsman's store or at the local duck blind drawing. If you do get lucky and either have friends who hunt or you hook up with someone who will let you tag along - DO NOT BRING A CALL WITH YOU or you'll never get invited back. Calling should be learned and practiced at home behind a closed door with either an instructional CD or with a very patient friend. Bring your call only after you are proficient. I highly recommend Buck Gardner's "Straight Talk" instructional CD. To be completely honest, I was only a so-so caller until about a year ago when I "relearned" how to call with "Straight Talk."

As far as a beginner call, I would go with a Primos Wench, Primos Yo Sista, Echo Double Reed Timber, or Quack Head J-Frame. All good calls and are very forgiving. I have an Echo Timber single reed that is one of my favorites and is one of only two that I keep on my lanyard. You'll see guys with 6 - 8 calls on their lanyards. Again, unnecessary. Master a couple calls and stick with those. You'll be able to get every sound and pitch out of most calls if you truly take the time to learn how to use them.

If you cannot hook up with anyone to take you, again I agree with Chris H, go find some public water and do some scouting. You can greatly narrow the search be going down to the sportman's store and asking around or calling the DNR and asking them what general area you should be setting up in. I've killed a lotta ducks on pubic waters. Lotta ducks.

I would start with six or a dozen mallard decoys and just throw them out there. Some folks get so hung up on decoy arrangements and it doesn't matter in the least - unless you're using Mojos, in which case you should position them facing into the wind. Get in the back of a cove on your lake or in the bend of an oxbow, throw out your dekes, and you'll be in business.

Your 1100 is a great duck gun. Go find some steel shot in anything from BB to #4 and you'll be in business. Keep in mind though that BB is a little rough on close ducks.

Get some camo and cover yourself up from head to toe like you're going turkey hunting. I like MOBU or APG for ducks. But here again, suit yourself as long as you match your surroundings.

Good luck to you and post anymore questions you have. Keep us posted on your season.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We just moved to MN a couple months ago. So far I don't know too many people. I would love to go find somebody to tag along with. Might have to go hang out at a couple of sporting goods stores.

As for calls, I'm not even worried about those yet. I don't know a lot about hunting birds, but from what I do know, it's pretty easy to screw that up. I'll wait to try that.

On the down side, I've never hunted turkeys, so I can't really use that to compare anything, either. It's also on my soon-to-do list. On the plus side, I'm on about 120 acres, and there's plenty of turkeys and I think geese in the fall, but I'm not certain of that.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Also look up to find your local Ducks Unlmited chapter and when there banquet will be. I think the website has contact info, if not start asking around someone will know. Great place to meet a whole lota people that know and love duck hunting. Also get a good meal and win some duck hunting gear.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM

As a "newbie", wow, the sky is the limit with what you can do and achieve. From calls, to gear, to decoys, its almost a neverending process, if you choose to get that deep. I too also agree with crowkilla, get a copy of Buck Gardners instuctional CD's, they are good information for a newbie or even someone who has hunted for years on calling techniques and gives you a good starting point. Get some good hunting DVD's, like fallin skies, or the takem videos, something like these will let you see how the pro's do it and give you a sense of what can be done and ways to go about it. You can get ideas on how to hide in a blind or in some marsh grass. There are several good camo patterns out there, me, I use all max4, a good high quality camo pattern. Are you going to hunt water,I would recommend a good quality, warm, wader. Field hunting, a good layout blind. There are several makers of good decoys out there, and you don't have to start out with a million, just get a dozen or so to get you started. Bulk will come with time as you buy here and there. Get on Cabela's website and just look at all the different things that are offered to make you waterfowling a fun and exciting time. I didn't mean to go on, but just wanted to give you a couple of ideas on all the options you have, the sky is the limit. I truly hope you decide to get into the sport and even join some groups such as Ducks Unlimited to help preserve the great sport and keep it around for our children's children. Welcome to waterfowling and hope you find the love as so many of us have.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks duckman. I definately want to get started in it. I think right now I'mgoing to see if I can't find someone that will let me tag along on a hunt or two and go from there. When I started with muzzleloading, I gotreal brief introduction and that was about it. For the rest of itI was on my own and I screwed up a lot of stuff and it wasn't much fun, to the point I about quit altogether. I finally had somebody help me get that turned around and now they're great. So, I'm thinking to avoid all that if I can find somebody that's going out duck hunting that's got some patience, it would make a world of difference.

Vince
Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM

Come down to wisconsin your welcome to lay down some honkers with us.