Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Ohio Newbie where to learn bird hunting. >

Ohio Newbie where to learn bird hunting.

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ohio Newbie where to learn bird hunting.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:03 PM

Default Ohio Newbie where to learn bird hunting.

I’ve always wanted to get into upland Bird hunting. The Last 12 years I’ve been seriously into bow hunting and every year become more disenchanted with it. I dabbled in grouse a bit when I started hunting but it is very hard without good dog. Few years ago I went to a field trial here in Ohio and was amazed watching those dogs work. Now I own house and land to properly have a gun dog but would like to wait untill Im educated more on bird hunting.

My shooting skills probably bad but I know how to safely handle a firearm.

I’m in NE Ohio and was wondering the best way to start into and learn the art of upland bird hunting?

Thanks

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ohio Newbie where to learn bird hunting.

First, if the field trial you went to was for foot hunting dogs, contact some of the participants and see if they will take you hunting. Also, determine what kind of hunting you would like to do and get an appropriate pup, also from a foot-hunting field trialer. These people only breed for what they feel will produce the best dogs, so you don't have to take your chances on a backyard breeding. I would strongly suggest that you have a pro help you train your first puppy, though. The field trial organization in your area may even have clinics and training sessions that are free. These are perfect ways to learn from some of the best in your area, and learn correctly the first time. Most of these people are most willing to help you train, and appreciate the help a training partner can provide.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford it, see if any of the trialers have "washout" dogs available; either those that were a bit too slow or maybe one that checked back with the handler a bit too much to make a successful trial dog. Or, even better, one that handles easily but had too limited range to be successful. These usually make near-perfect hunting dogs. It will also save you from making novice training mistakes with a puppy. Probably set you back $1,000-$3,000, though. If you go this route, make sure the "washout" dog you select wasn't culled because of a flaw that is difficult to correct, such as creeping or scooping birds.

Please avoid dogs from horseback field trial stock. Maybe later when you're comfortable handling dogs you may try this, but for the novice they are too high-powered and I am certain you will not be comfortable the first time you turn one loose in a field and he is half a mile away in 90 seconds.

I am a Western upland bird hunter and field trialer and I don't know much about hunting in NE Ohio, but I do know that some of the very best foot hunting field trial dogs in the country come from Southern Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee. I even have a couple of dogs from Kentucky, myself, and I love them. I can't wait to see what will be produced when they are crossed with my Western setters. They all come from the same stock, just bred in different parts of the country, so the breeding should be magnificent.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting