Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How does a newbie learn how to hunt? >

How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Default How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

I just started today by reading a book on white tail hunting. I went to an area of the forest where I have seen lots of white tail before. They were a little harder to find then It seems driving by, theres usually one or two of them by the side of the road and it took me about an hour of searching to spot one.

I found a thin trail of matted down grass and followed it. Soon enough I spotted a buck, fairly big one too, about 20 yards away from me. I decided to try to get as close as I could. I ducked down into the tall grass and crawled, the same sort of way you would picture a marine or infantry crawling, but slower. Even this was a lot of fun, I got about 5 yards away from it before I decided that the thing might stomp the crap out of me if i crawled right up to it, so I stood up.

But I was pretty happy I managed to find one.
I imagine it will be a little harder in legal hunting grounds where deer know to run away from humans, and during hunting season when they are spooked.

Anyway, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to get good at hunting deer before you actually get out there for hunting season and start trying to shot one.

Glad to be here,
thanks alot for the tips
-Dave

Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

You are on the right track! Read, ask questions, and get with other hunters! It takes a little bit of everything to get successful. Scouting, stealth, shooting ability. Be patient, it took me a few years to actually be successful, since then, I've got my deer every year, and I never quit studying deer and learning! Good luck!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Read, talk with us guys, and watch hunting shows and videos.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

You are on the right track! Read, ask questions, and get with other hunters! It takes a little bit of everything to get successful. Scouting, stealth, shooting ability. Be patient, it took me a few years to actually be successful, since then, I've got my deer every year, and I never quit studying deer and learning! Good luck!
I agree with JagMag, but I would strongly suggest finding a "mentor" where you live to coach you. You can pick up a few pointers on internet forums, but there is no substitute to having someone that knows your area and can show you "stuff" first hand.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:49 PM

Yes a mentor can show you things like field dressing, we could explain how but you really need to see it done at least once, unless you're a surgeon.Most important tho is gun (or bow) safety. It's fun playing in the woods but a loaded gun needs to be taken seriously. Have fun and good hunting to you.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everything posted here. Definately hunt with people that have experience but also just get out in the woods and observe how whitetail travel, eat, sleep, etc....Study as much as you can about the different seasons and how they affect deer and how deer respond to the different stages of the rut during those season changes. Read constantly and then ask question and read stories of actual hunting experiences on what you've read. Videos really help once you have abase of knowledgebutespeciallyknow the safety laws, get comfortable with your weapon before the season starts.You will learn from just going by your successes and failures and build on that. Last year was my first with a bow and I knew nothing about the early season and pre-rut because I had only hunted with a gun in late November before that. I bought my bow at the end of August so all of September I disciplined myself to read 3 articles a day on the habits of whitetail, one before work, one at lunch, and one when I was leaving work. It came in handy as I landed my first buck in October. Good luck! Also pray for favor and a harvest before you go.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best way to learn about hunting is click on all my previous posts.
But seriously, surround yourself with good ethical hunters and get the hunting regs in your head and get to know them inside out. Saftey and laws as well as ethics are the basic to hunting and then the more time you spend in the bush, something has to rub off on you as far as 101 goes.
Just listen to some of us that like to think what we're doin and even the best verterans are still learning, I know I am every time I go out.

Bobby
Old 06-04-2006, 09:18 PM

you can watch videos...but in real life dont expect it to happen the same way. ask lots of questions. it took me years before i got to shoot a deer.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 121553
Best way to learn about hunting is click on all my previous posts.
Bobby
Oh boy, aren't we full of ourselves tonight...[&:][8D]
Old 06-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

You need to, as has been stated previously, get together with someone who hunts and knows the area you'll be hunting, to go with you to show you how to scout, set your stand, hunt, shoot, and teach you good hunting ethics and safety. Ask all the questions youwant here. Lot of good folks here with a wealth of knowledge. Access the archives here forquestions you may have that others have asked already.

Quick Reply: How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.