Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What did you learn from the one that got away? >

What did you learn from the one that got away?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What did you learn from the one that got away?

Old 11-17-2002, 07:34 PM

Default What did you learn from the one that got away?

I missed a great opportunity after I let 2 does go by. I was in the wrong position when they came in so I froze. They ignored me but looked back after hearing a noise. All present realized a buck was coming and as soon a the does were out of view i started to reposition myself for the buck. Too late;he was ot on their trail. He spotted me and the rest is history. I should have just prepared for the shot as he was exactly where the does were,following their scent trail. Next time I'll know what to do. What have you learned from the one that got away?

Old 11-18-2002, 10:15 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What did you learn from the one that got away?

I watched a mule deer buck and doe yesterday evening (5pm) for .30 min. they kept looking over their shoulders but nothing came out. They would eat and look up all of a sudden.
About 5:30 they had moved on but then two does came running out into the field. They walked around but kept looking at the corner also. Within 10 min. 10 more doe came out and then a very nice 12 point came out.
What did I learn? When its white tail season all you see is mule deer, and I cant shoot one till this weekend.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first time I saw deer while hunting I was on the ground and saw 4 does walking out of the brush straight toward me. Although I was downwind of them, I was afraid of getting spotted if they got closer. So I drew my bow too early and the lead spotted me at 20 yards. All four froze facing straight at me leaving no good shots. They snorted and stomped a few times as I started to shake from holding my draw too long. I think I would have had a better chance letting them get closer and taking them in close with no warning.

The second time I saw deer while hunting I was sitting about 15 yards off of a well used trail. A doe and hefty buck came by just 20 minutes before shooting time. Even if it had been legal time, I couldn't see well enough to take a good shot. After that I decided to get 2 tritium sight pins and a larger peep for times of poor visibility. Not that I would shoot before it's legal, but maybe someday when it is overcast or raining I'll need them.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:31 PM

I missed a doe with my bow about 3 weeks ago. I learned that you must hit the deer and not the antpile underneath for the deer to run off and bleed out.

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-18-2002, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

When rattling always watch your backdoor, I have missed a couple of dandy bucks by not having a window to the rear to shoot. Last fall I did it again and missed an opportunity on the biggest buck I have seen with a tag and weapon in my hand.

Old 11-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont take your barrle of to clean your gun, and still expect it to shoot accurately on opening day.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:20 PM

Pick a spot, and relax. I missed a decent buck in October at 24 yards because I got rattled at how fast he appeared, and shot under him. Also practice sitting down in your stand. If I had done that, I would have a nice buck now.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"
Old 11-18-2002, 09:55 PM

Saturday morning I learned that when it is windy, you got to make a loud enough noise for them to hear you or else they won't stop in your shooting lane. Actually I already knew that, I just screwed up! Boy did my heart sink when he just strolled on through right into thick brush and out of sight.

--I live in my own little world. But it's OK . . . they know me
here.--
Old 11-19-2002, 12:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2002, 08:09 AM

I think we all at one time or another, made the mistake of trying to recover a deer too early. I admit that I have lost a deer that way. It is a horrible feeling and one that almost makes a person want to give up hunting. The deer MUST be given time to expire. ESPECIALLY if the shot appears to have been not so good.

Another mistake I've made in the past is trying to grunt to the deer too much or too loudly when they are in sight. This is a tough situation actually. Do I grunt or stay quiet? Will he spook from my grunts? I think the best policy is if in doubt, remain quiet. But giving ONE soft grunt can work great most of the time. I try not to grunt more than once. Only time I'll grunt again is if it looks like he's going to go away. I've got nothing to loose at that point. Also, I do not use deep, big buck grunts...young buck ones are much better.

Lastly, Murphy is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hunting with you!!!

-Mike

Quick Reply: What did you learn from the one that got away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.