Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadheads and practice >

Broadheads and practice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadheads and practice

Old 05-06-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Broadheads and practice

I am practicing with the 3 blade fixed muzzy using the practice blades. When I change to the cutting blades should I at least shoot the arrow with new blades at a target to ensure it will be accurate. If so what affect will this have on the sharpness of the blades?

Bones
Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadheads and practice

I am practicing with the 3 blade fixed muzzy using the practice blades. When I change to the cutting blades should I at least shoot the arrow with new blades at a target to ensure it will be accurate. If so what affect will this have on the sharpness of the blades?
What I normally do is use regular blades for practice and just replace them with new ones(I usually sharpen muzzy's out of the package). If I were you, I'd probably take a few shots with the hunting arrow and regular blades and replace them with new ones. Keep the replaced set just for practicing. That way you'll develope some confidence and not wonder.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59 AM

I would absolutely recomend you shoot the real thing. I've shot several bows that shot the practice tips to a different point of impact than that of the real heads. For example, both my bow and my brother's bow shoot the real head 3" further to the right than the practice heads. Its probably a good idea just to keep a set of practice heads. In a pinch, you can always sharpen them.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agrred. Shoot the real blades. Replace them for hunting. Keep the old ones for next year's practice. In my case the blades that come with my heads are designated as scrap--they get used for practice. That's just one of the advantages of heads with replaceable blades.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I've shot Muzzys for many years and have noticed no difference in flight between the practice blades and the real ones.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the advantages of heads with non-replaceable blades - Magnus, Bear Razorhead, Zwickey, Steelforce, etc - is your practice blades and hunting blades are one and the same. You just sharpen them up before hunting.

Putting new blades in replaceable blade heads always left a question mark in my mind... Will the broadhead still shoot the same? Even though the odds were very much in favor of the head shooting the same, I never did like that small bit of uncertainty. That's the main reason I went back to good ol' cut on contact heads.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm kind of new at this sport.Then I should stop practicing with field points and practice with the same arrow head that I will be hunting with?
Thanks fro the imfo.
Chuck